Save the Date: Run to Work Day Philly Debuts September 19th
Hold on to your sneakers, runners: Run to Work Day Philly is officially on the books for Friday, September 19th.
You’re invited to join Be Well Philly, Philadelphia Runner and Run215 for this massive debut initiative that celebrates Philly as a running city. For one day, commuters from across the region will forgo their cars (or bikes, or trains), lace up their running shoes, and hit the pavement for the best (and sweatiest!) commute of their lives. Cool, right?
In case you missed our earlier posts, the idea grew out of an item we shared back in Julyabout how more and more people across the country are opting for running commutes. It launched a Twitter convo with a few local runners, that eventually turned into a Change.org petition asking Mayor Michael Nutter to sanction an official Run to Work Day Philly. In the meantime, we decided to go ahead and just plan one ourselves to get the ball rolling, and bada-bing, bada-boom: Run to Work Day Philly was born.
Two things that’ll be happening on Run to Work Day:
1. We’re having a kick-ass hashtag contest: On September 19th, we want you to share your Run to Work Day photos on Instagram and Twitter using the hashtag #RuntoWorkPHL. Could be a seen-on-my-run photo. Could be a shot of your running sneaks under your desk. Could be one of you high-fiving your boss while wearing head-to-toe running gear. Whatever! At the end of the day, Philadelphia Runner will choose one lucky participant to win free running shoes for a year—that’s one free pair of shoes every three months for a year. How’s that for incentive? UPDATE: The folks at Phila Massages want in on the fun, too! They’re offering a free 60-minute massage and a three-month massage membership to a second hashtag contest participant. So now we’ll draw two winners for double the fun. Woo!
2. We have your showering needs covered: If your office doesn’t provide you with locker room facilities, not to worry. The awesome folks at Sweat Fitness will be opening their locker rooms—and showers!—free of charge to Run to Work Day participants who need a place to change before heading to the office. You’ll be able to show up at any of Sweat’s eight area locations, show a photo ID, and you’re in. Sweet!
We’ve got more surprises up our sleeves, but for now, we’ll leave it at that. Head over to our Facebook page to RSVP for Run to Work Day, and be sure to share this awesome event with your friends. The more, the merrier, as far as we’re concerned. Help us show everyone that Philly is an awesome place to run and work.
Now. WHO’S EXCITED?!
Like what you’re reading? Stay in touch with Be Well Philly—here’s how:
- Like Be Well Philly on Facebook
- Follow Be Well Philly on Twitter
- Follow Be Well Philly on Pinterest
- Get the Be Well Philly Newsletter