The Cheat Sheet: Lacroix
I’ll be honest, when a reader asked me to do a Cheat Sheet on Lacroix, I was a bit skeptical. I figured that even if a menu item looked healthy at first glance there had to be hidden butter, cream and calories, right? Well, to my delight, I was so wrong, and Lacroix’s nutrition-savvy chef Jonathan Cichon was a delight as we talked about antioxidants and complete proteins. Who would have thought?
So, here are my picks for Lacroix—and FYI, expect the spring menu to boast even lighter options. Cichon also said that with enough notice, his kitchen can pretty much accommodate any requests including raw and vegan meals.
Starters (yep, I am skipping the salads)
• Mushroom soup (just added to the menu last week!) >> Savory and creamy without a dash of cream; this satisfying soup is finished with coconut milk instead.
• Hamachi >> Light and refreshing, the fish is paired with beets and quinoa (a complete protein).
• Oysters on the half shell >> A simple but perfect starter to any meal. Skip the bacon dressing and ask for a simple mignonette.
• Black cod with bok choy, baby artichokes and wheat berries >> With healthy sides fill to you up, this main dish is perfect for a healthy night out.
• Golden tilefish with kohlrabi, pineapple and hearts of palm >> A meatier white fish paired with tropical flavors and a favorite vegetable of mine, kohlrabi.
Have a restaurant you’d like to see featured in the Cheat Sheet? Let us know in the comments!
Restaurant menus are reviewed by Phillies dietitian and owner of Healthy Bites Katie Cavuto Boyle. In most cases, the individual restaurants were contacted for specific ingredient and recipe information. Note: Many restaurants have seasonal menus and some items may not be available.