How Millennials Are Ruining the Workforce

At work, on the playing field, in the world of ideas, young folk aren’t content to take their turn at the bottom of the pile anymore. The results are frightening.

Illustration by Jason Raish

Illustration by Jason Raish

As a boomer, I have a special interest in millennials. It’s the same sort of interest I have in car wrecks: I don’t want to see what’s going on, but I can’t look away. Take, for instance, the cover story that Time magazine had a few months back about how millennials are raising their children. I didn’t read the article. I couldn’t, because the very first paragraph stopped me cold. Here it is, reproduced in full:

On a playground in San Francisco, 4-year-old Astral Defiance Hayes takes a stick and writes his name in the sand. His twin brother Defy Aster Hayes whizzes around their father.

The fact is, I don’t need to know anything more about how millennials are parenting than that two of them thought it was a great idea to name their twin boys Astral Defiance and Defy Aster.

I mean: Who does that?

There are so very many boys’ names out there that aren’t Astral Defiance and Defy Aster. Old-fashioned names like Ezekiel and Joseph and Malachi. Newer names like Ryan and Marcus and Jack. Even names that are silly but super-popular right now and at least sound like names, like Jace and Jayden and Jaxon. Why would anyone hang a 50-ton albatross like Astral Defiance around his own child’s neck?

I can’t stop wondering how Astral Defiance and Defy Aster’s grandparents reacted when their offspring informed them of their new grandsons’ names. How would I react if my children told me they were doing something so rock-dumb? Would I be able to control my instinctive grimace of pain? I probably would, because every day at work, I get practice hiding my expressions of perplexity and disbelief at the odd things millennials do.

I was sitting just the other day at what we call, here in our office, “the newspaper table.” We call it that because it’s where, since time immemorial, our copies of the daily papers get placed each morning. I was paging through the New York Times when a passing intern paused. “What are you looking for?” she asked.

What was I looking for? “I’m reading the newspaper,” I told her.

“Oh,” she said.

I’ve never felt more old.

There’s an Ed Sheeran song lots of millennials are using for the first dance at their weddings. It’s a lovely song, except for this one line: “Darling, I will be loving you till we’re seventy.” Seventy! Seventy is the outside limit of the youthful imagination when it comes to age. Never mind that the average American now lives to be many years older than that — years, I suppose, that are loveless and forlorn. Fifty, 60, 70 — it’s all the same, it’s old, it’s decrepit, it’s stupid, it has nothing to say or do that’s relevant.

Still, I believe the children are our future, so I try to be kind to them in spite of their obliviousness. It helps that I’m not the only one struggling to come to terms with millennials in the workplace. Philly Mag’s November cover package highlighted the pretzels that local companies are twisting themselves into to attract and keep younger workers. Forget about a salary and some health insurance. Kids today want “hardwood floors, greenery and sunlight,” gourmet staff breakfasts, “nap rooms,” ping-pong tables, slides, rooftop lounges and beer on tap. Floor plans are open, with no doors to close or etch titles into. “The modern workplace has got to be a lot more egalitarian,” advised Al West, chairman and CEO of SEI, the investment giant out in Oaks. “If you’ve got offices for more senior people, it creates a hierarchy and gets in the way.” When did “hierarchy” become a dirty word? Hierarchy is the way the world works.

Just look at nature. Young elks tilt at grizzled older elks, and older elks smack them into place. Wolf pups nip at their elders’ necks, and the elders bite back. It’s the same with humans. Baseball rookies get hazed; sorority pledges have to buy their big sisters lattes; new Army recruits get latrine duty. People who know more get to say more. People who don’t know squat are supposed to watch and learn.

But millennials, West notes, “want to be heard and appreciated.” You know what’s awkward from an elder’s standpoint? Being expected to listen to and appreciate people who haven’t earned that right. Consider, for example, John Lim, a senior at Swarthmore College and, until this past fall, a member of its baseball team. A recent article in the independent student newspaper the Phoenix noted that before Lim left the team, baseball was his life. Yet he quit playing the sport for Swarthmore because he reached this sad conclusion: “I think athletics is really bad for this campus. I really do.” And what, pray tell, has convinced him of this? Why, it’s the unfairness of the athlete-coach dialectic: “[T]he relationship on the field between the player and the coach,” he told the Phoenix, “is very much whatever the coach says, you do.” Whatever the coach says, you do. Oh, the humanity!

Can you imagine coaching an entire team made up of John Lims?

It’s technology that’s skewing the picture, of course. My generation was raised on stories and myths about people who trudged their way through the ranks to positions of power: Ben Franklin, John Rockefeller, Oprah Winfrey. Millennial fairy tales are all about disrupters, the young Jacks who slay the old, slow giants: Evan Spiegel, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs. Raised with iPhones in hand, young people scorn the slow learning curves of their elders. Their prowess with gewgaws like Slack and Snapchat has made them our masters; we’re forced to turn to them for information and advice on our devices. (Though a major Slack theme in our office is, “Who has a charger for my device that has run out of juice because I apparently did not anticipate needing to use it at work today, again?”) What seems to escape their notice is that all the tech is just the delivery system. And cool, fancy new delivery equipment doesn’t make what’s being delivered worthwhile.

There was a time when young people were expected to read the classics — books written by old, or even dead, people. Granted, most of those people were white and male, but that alone shouldn’t see their work summarily dismissed. Yet recently, in the ongoing war over whether college students should be permitted to swaddle themselves in fluffy, fluffy cotton balls, the faculty senate at American University in Washington, D.C., voted in favor of a “free-speech resolution” that would require students who demand trigger warnings in classes to provide medical documentation of their “psychological vulnerability.” In response, the students rose up to complain that being required to provide actual proof of the disabilities for which they were demanding accommodation was onerous. Part of the reason the faculty senate took that vote was that the 18- and 19- and 20-year-old students had been calling on the university library to provide warning stickers on the covers of books that contain controversial material. You know, like The Great Gatsby (“gory, abusive and misogynistic violence,” according to one Rutgers student), and Ovid’s Metamorphoses (“marginalizes student identities,” say kids at Columbia). Students tiptoe out of these feather-lined ivory towers into the office, still cotton-swathed — and they want to be journalists! Do they think they’ll be writing about sunshine and rainbows and puppies, for chrissake? If you haven’t read great works of literature because you find them triggering, how will you write about famine or child rape or serial killers or global warming? What fathoms of the human experience will go unplumbed because gazing into those depths is really, really hard?

IT’S NOT THAT I don’t have anything kind to say about millennials. They are, for example, unfailingly polite. I never see them lose their tempers. In fact, they’re too polite; that’s what makes them hypersensitive to anything they perceive as an insult or slight. It also accounts for their habit of extending text or Slack or email conversations one step beyond what’s normal and natural; they send me something I ask for, I send a “thank-you” response, they send a cheery “You’re welcome!” with a smiley-face or thumbs-up or strawberry-shortcake-slice emoticon. If you added up all the workplace time expended on these superfluous responses, America could double its GNP.

Still, there’s no denying that millennials have the warmest of hearts. On the rare occasions when I tag along with them for after-work drinks, they hover around me like solicitous bumblebees: Do I need a chip with salsa? A glass of water? A pillow for my ancient feet? I can tell they’re a little surprised when I show up at the office each morning: Wow, way to go, old girl! You made it through another night!

It’s not their fault, entirely. They haven’t been exposed to older people very much. Their best friends may be their parents, but since the reverse is also true, their parents haven’t any adult friends. I saw my grandparents every day when I was growing up; they lived with us. My kids see their grandparents five or six times a year. Again, I’m not laying blame. Everybody’s trying to get together, texting and Skyping and emailing about availability. It’s just that families are different these days — smaller, more spread out, less centered on the hearth. Also, if Grandma wants to see me, she can just sign up for Facebook, right?

But when youngsters haven’t ever been exposed to the brutish behavior of elderly boomers — especially boomers not related to them by blood — that behavior can come as a great shock. Sometimes in the workplace, we have to tell you that you’re doing something wrong. Sometimes we raise our voices. Especially if it’s the fifth or sixth or seventh time we’ve had to rouse you from the nap room to tell you that you’re still spelling “separate” wrong, and that there’s this nifty thing called spell-check that would inform you of that if you would only employ it, and that if you don’t start using it now, today, we’re not going to employ you. It’s no swing down the office slide to be told you need to adapt to the structures that are in place instead of having those structures warp to accommodate you. Sometimes there isn’t any trigger warning at all on your annual review.

ANOTHER PLUS IN millennials’ favor: They’re unafraid to publicly challenge their elders, even when it makes them look deeply foolish. Back in October, Germaine Greer, who turns 77 this month and is the author of such seminal works of gender theory as The Female Eunuch, Sex and Destiny and The Whole Woman, gave an interview in which she voiced the opinion that post-operative transgender women aren’t really women. It’s not an opinion she arrived at in light of Caitlyn Jenner; it’s part of a process of pointing out the heavy hand of patriarchal oppression that has occupied her for decades. Back in 1999, she wrote, “The insistence that man-made women be accepted as women is the institutional expression of the mistaken conviction that women are defective males.” This could be the springboard to an interesting philosophical discussion of identity: What makes a woman a woman, or a man a man? Is gender in the body or the mind, or both? In the perception or the one perceived? Instead, commenters on a Jezebel post about Greer’s statements went straight to nuclear:

Ms. Greer has been a valued voice, but this ongoing transphobia … is disappointing and discouraging. Move into the twenty-first century, please.

Seconded. It’s time for her to sit down and let contemporary feminists speak.

That, or learn something by listening, instead of this constant retrenching.

And then it got better:

Is it awful of me to admit I thought she was an actress rather than a feminist, and was surprised she was still alive?

Judy Greer? I make the same mistake, too.

Pam Greer?

The funny thing is, when an interviewer asked Greer if she didn’t understand how “hurtful” her comments were, she exploded: “People are hurtful to me all the time! Try being an old woman!” Too late. Transgender activists at a Welsh university at which she was scheduled to speak on the topic “Women & Power: The Lessons of the 20th Century” demanded that her speech be canceled. She canceled it herself. Her audience has left the room, and it won’t be back.

That same month, on the very day that then-69-year-old Princeton professor Angus Deaton was named the latest winner of the Nobel Prize in economics, Vox’s Dylan Matthews posted a treatise titled, “Nobel Winner Angus Deaton Is Very Critical of Foreign Aid. The Reality Is More Complicated.” Which led Gen-Xer Michael C. Moynihan of the Daily Beast to tweet a tart link to Matthews’s piece:

I love when omniscient 25-year-old bloggers Voxsplain to newly minted Nobel laureates

I find it immensely heartening that as the Gen Xers mature and we boomers die off, they’re assuming our burden.

BUT BACK TO THAT MATTER of content vs. delivery. In October, Time magazine announced it was acquiring a website with the meaty name “Hello Giggles.” Hello Giggles was founded by, among others, the actress Zooey Deschanel, who that same month announced that she had named her newborn daughter Elsie Otter. As Deschanel explained to Today, she and her husband “both love otters — they’re very sweet and they’re also smart. … They’re wonderful animals.” Elsie Otter, meet Astral Defiance and Defy Aster. And thank your lucky stars your parents don’t love sloths.

Hello Giggles is intended to appeal to millennials. Clearly, Time believes the website is adept at this mission, since it’s paying a reported $20 million for the acquisition. When this news broke, the Hello Giggles team reassured its audience that nothing was changing; despite the new overlord, it would “continue to stand for the same mission we always have: to bring positive, empowering, smart, funny stories and videos to our readers … and give them a safe space to express themselves across the wilds of the internet.”

In my never-ending quest to understand how millennials experience the world, I recently spent some time on Hello Giggles. Understandably, I made a beeline for a piece with the catchy headline “Smart, Perfect Literary Journals for When You Need a Break From Your Web-Surfing Ways.” Among the suggested reads were Okey-Panky (“If you’d like some fiction but you don’t have much time or attention span”), the New Inquiry (“the sharpest, smartest looks at everything gossip to policing to witchcraft” [sic]), and the Literary Review (“one of those print magazines that not only contains [sic again] a wealth of absorbing stories, essays and poetry it [sic three] also looks great. It’s the kind that you leave out on your coffee table as ornament as well as something to pick up while you’re lazing on the couch”).

Thus reassured as to what millennial women are reading, I turned to what they are writing, or hope to write, at least. Imagine how excited I was to see an article headlined “Super Helpful Resources for Budding Writers.” One never is too old to learn. The writer, Stephanie Watson, began her article on a sympathetic note:

Real talk: Being an author is hard! Sure, it’s totally awesome but it can also be super difficult. There are moments when we look at our bookshelves and we’re just like, “woah. There are so many incredible books out there already. How can we compete?”

How indeed. That’s it. Enough. I surrender. Come bury me in one of your shallow, shallow graves, my young friends.

Published as “Point of Order” in the January 2016 issue of Philadelphia magazine.

Around The Web

Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.

• Ashy Larry

Generalize much? Why don’t you just go yell at a cloud?
    It sounds like the younger adults that you work with are just incompetent. Maybe your hiring manager or HR director (boomer age?) should have done a better job with hiring.
    Why are you assuming all Millenials demand ping pong tables and nap rooms; and all these other make believe and only really exist in ad agency starts up and the silicon valley, things? I work in a corporate office with at least 50 other Millenials if not more. A grand sum of zero of us asked for anything you mentioned in this article. A grand sum of zero Millenials that I know demanded any of the things you mentioned at their job. I know one who has things like that where they work. She says not many people use them.
    Why are you assuming all of those Jezebel comments came from Millennials? Further, you applaud the author for encouraging a philosophical discussion and choosing to speak freely. However you condemn the commenters for doing exactly the same thing because they just don’t share your viewpoint. Wouldn’t that be a perpetuation of the exact thing you’re against? Their viewpoint may indeed be aggravating, but it still seems pretty hypocritical to me.
    This article was pretty well written but it’s content lacks quality, in my opinion. You should take into account that experience does not equal intelligence. There are younger people out there who are smarter than you, that’s just a fact. No, they may not have the experience and therefore do not know certain things that you may. However is it not possible that they have the mental capacity to know such things, and even know more about them than you? Maybe you should give people a chance before writing an entire generation off because you’re being closed minded.
    Finally, why respond to politeness with an olive branch? Now that would be a foolish thing to think is possible. All these young people seemingly treat you so respectfully but forget mentoring them or offering some guidance. Maybe if you challenged one of these Millenials you could find that they could be of great service to you, and instead of complaining you could pass on the knowledge you have and enrich someone else’s life while making your own easier in some way by obtaining their help. Maybe you could help mold these young minds into great journalists to be. But you won’t. You’ll just complain.

• laurenalice

Zing.

• rebecca

This is hilarious. “There are younger people out there who are smarter than you, that’s just a fact.” No. It’s not.

Excellence in journalism is based on experience. You’re not going to be good at it right out of school. You haven’t covered a murder or followed a beat or built sources. You have to actually leave the newsroom to be a good journalist. Interviews by text and email are bad ones.

But younger people don’t want to hear that. Some of you will have more natural talent than others, sure, but unless you are open to the fact that you have much to learn, you won’t get better.

Most of the young journalists I work with don’t want mentoring and guidance. They don’t want to struggle through it. They want you to do it for them. They want it to be easy.

Don’t believe me? The Inquirer hired a dozen young kids out of college a couple years ago. Within a year, most had left voluntarily. They didn’t want to work nights and weekends. They didn’t want to cover beats with night meetings. It was too hard.

• Shirleyrclark3

❝my neighbor’s mate is getting 98$. HOURLY on the internet❞….

A few days ago new McLaren F1 subsequent after earning 18,512$,,,this was my previous month’s paycheck ,and-a little over, 17k$ Last month ..3-5 h/r of work a day ..with extra open doors & weekly. paychecks.. it’s realy the easiest work I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months ago and now making over 87$, p/h.Learn More right Here
        3stt……….
        ➤➤
        ➤➤➤ http://GlobalSuperEmploymentVacanciesReportsLlc/GetPaid/98$hourly❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦

• Jay

You’re right, the author of this article has a litany of impressive works behind her that no author at Hello Giggles or any other “Millennial news source” could compare to. Just look at recent articles she’s written for Philly Mag. I’m sure her coverage in the piece titled, “Three Philly-Area Pups Will Compete in Puppy Bowl XXI” was hard-hitting and poignant. Her article “Montco Woman Charged in Applebees Macing” must have required some real hard, out-of-office investigative journalism. I hope no one presses her to reveal her well-sources over that headliner!!

• Eric the Red

Have you ever been to Applebees? Terrifying.

• Critias

Hopefully she’s learned enough to keep her “well-sources” private. Not everyone needs to see them, whatever they are.

• Pupmeister

Those chihuahua pups can be awful aggressive…

• Ashy Larry

So there is not a single person in the world who is younger than you that is also smarter than you? No one younger than you has a higher IQ? My point of experience not equaling intelligence being lost on you is about as ironic as it could get. I get that “excellence in journalism” can be based on experience but that does not mean someone is mentally less capable. Just because you’ve done something so many times to the point where you’re good at it, better than a lesser experienced person, it doesn’t make you smarter than someone.
        You generalize just as bad as the author based off your own personal experiences. I wasn’t speaking solely about journalism in regards to my intelligence/experience point, and I don’t know why you assumed I was.

• Penny Lane

Haha, “Ashy Larry” (your parents loved ashes?), your post is intended as satire, right? Well done! Meanwhile I do agree that generalizations about generations are not empirically sound but the best, as here, do capture something of the spirit and texture of the generation. Each generation is forged under certain social, political, economic, and cultural (and now social media) conditions that tend to create some common ground, but there are also regional, economic, social, political and cultural conditions that lead to them being very different. For example, I don’t think many millennials from impoverished backgrounds share the sorts of entitled attitudes, or the fears of being upset by a book or movie, or the righteous habit of enforcing a punitive kind of political correctness, or the expectation to be “learned from” or catered to in schools or the workplace. That’s more the stuff of a certain kind of privileged millennial, who is without question a new phenomenon and often very unpleasant to deal with, I suspect not only for boomers but also for other millennials and Gen Xers.

• Natronimus Maximus

ashy larry is a character from ‘chappelle’s show” and likely the commenter’s alias

• Ashy Larry

I never went without as a kid because my parents are good people, but they also raised me with the right values. Anything I wanted I also worked for one way or another. Impoverished or not, I’m not entitled, I’m not afraid of being upset by a book or a movie or, further, a professor’s or entertainer’s or comedian’s or politician’s opinion. None of what I said has anything to do with our current over the top and unnecessary PC culture. Seriously where did I say anything about PC culture? Or that I was offended? I just said the content of the article lacks quality, and why I think that. I’m allowed to have that opinion. Just as the author is allowed theirs. And you are allowed yours. However you seem not OK with me sharing that simply because I disagree. Literally all of your counterpoint to my post has nothing to do with what I said. Sounds like someone has universal pre conceived notions. I encourage you to continue to share your opinions, but maybe tone down your “I’m mad about my personal narrative even when it doesn’t apply” shtick.

• Penny Lane

Hi Ashy Larry, sorry to have misread your post. I truly thought you were writing a satire and I was *agreeing* with you. For example, one thing that makes certain millennials very different to work with is the notion that they are “smarter than you” but what does that mean? Got better grades? In most workplaces, it’s not IQs but rather experience, an understanding of how things work, how to get along, how to be a newb rather than the boss, how to persist and be polite and humble along the way. The worst–certainly not all–of the millennials stand out for their inability to take criticism (they get downright nasty or distraught if you suggest they need to do something better), their insistence on being “smarter than you,” their casual relationship to learning the ropes, their sense of entitlement–whatever is best for them at a given moment should be honored by all, rather than their seeing themselves as part of a collective with a job to do. I did suggest that millennials from less privileged backgrounds (those who, for example, have to work to survive and who often are also helping support their family and thus know how to act as an employee) do not have these issues: they know the importance of learning the drills, being respectful, understanding a chain of command, knowing that you can’t take off work at the drop of a hat and that criticism is a good thing, not the end of the world.

• Barcode Bama

“I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters. I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.”

• http://www.aldianews.com svourvoulias

LOL.

• TheHeavy

Your Millennials at work may not be so “polite” after reading this. Offers of chips and salsa at Happy Hour may disappear. What, oh what, have you done? I understood perfectly what Greer meant and agree, so I guess that gives me away…lol. I’ve experienced exactly what you’re talking about with millennials and find it annoying they don’t understand the concept of paying dues.

• Kcantihwd

Larry ashy. Your rambling response underscores the hypersensitivity claims of this story. There is humor embedded, therein, but our chronic PC inflammation prevents you seeing that. Get over it, so you can get it.

• Mariasmack1

3ztx…..
      ➤➤
      ➤➤➤ http://GlobalSuperEmploymentVacanciesReportsNews/GetPaid/98$hourly❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦

• Ashy Larry

Please point out and emphasize any of what I said that relates to PC culture in the sense that we need more of it and that this author is being not PC.

• Geena Phillips

Use of the code word “PC” = “I’m salty over the fact that childishly insulting marginalized, oppressed people is no longer acceptable in civilized human society.”

• Tara

I understand the author is writing about her personal experiences with millennials and it sounds like she hasn’t met any worth speaking of in a positive light. However, as a city my husband, two children, and I are trying to make our home it is discouraging to read about how everyone our age is “ruining the workforce”. Some of us have read the classics, worked hard to earn degrees, have put our time, sweat, and energy into hard jobs that take our early mornings, nights, and weekends. Not everyone in our generation is an airheaded, snapchatting, selfie obsessed, entitled child. Some of us are (dare I say it) conservative in our morals and politics and even have a desire to learn from our elders. As a magazine representing our city why not highlight those who are reaching out a hand to pull in the younger generations who so desperately want to make Philly great again? Publishing articles about how the Baby Boomer generation dislikes Millenials leaves a bad taste in mouths of both generations and stirs contempt for one another. Phillymag please send us a Virgil to guide us though the gates of the workforce inferno; we don’t need anymore John Milton “heros” dividing the city.

• Janice Rael

Well said, Tara. As a Gen Xer, I really don’t want to be caught in the crosshairs of a “you kids get off of my lawn” fight between the Boomers and the Millenials. Let’s focus on who is doing the right thing for every generation.

• Critias

Why can only ONE opinion be shared, and not the other…? It’s THAT sort of childishness which is the unfortunate hallmark of Millennials in general. Did it hurt someone’s wittle feewings? Do only stories which are positive about Gen Wuss deserve a space in a publication?

• Mitch

Critias, you’re spurring on the same negativity here you’re condemning in other comments. There are clearly a number of people who feel slighted by the baseless comments made about Millennials by the author and her commenting supporters. Is it really that surprising or amusing to see these people defend themselves? The true childishness here is the assertion that an article which devalues an entire people group has any place in professional journalism.

• Critias

Gen Wuss should put on their big girl panties and learn to deal with the world, rather than cry and whine and cringe whenever the least bit of negativity enters their little universe.

• Ashy Larry

Says the person who is unable to deal with people being critical or the least bit of negativity in these comments

• Stu Johnson

You are proving their point. What a miserable person you must be.

• Critias

Boo freakin’ hoo. Internet tough guys are boring, Stu.

• Ashy Larry

No one has said only one opinion can be shared. People can post negative stories, just like how people can say they’re negative. It’s ironic you call people childish and leave comments like this when you’re the only person in this thread who is acting like only one opinion (yours) can be shared…..

• Resident

BRAVO! About time someone called out these pompous, arrogant, spoiled Millenials who have much to learn about how real life really works!

In a nutshell, Millenials: sit down and shut up. No one cares what you think, because frankly, you’re usually wrong or stupid, or both.

• Shaneo

Why did your generation ruin the world? And why do you keep taking it out on us? I can’t wait for entitled baby boomers to finally die.

• Justthetruth

Ruin the world? What about the way the world was 50, 75, 100, 200 years ago? I realize that millennials know almost nothing about that since schools and colleges haven’t been allowed to teach anything for the last couple decades. So it’s not entirely their fault, but they CAN learn it on their own. And some do – they’re referred to as “intelligent.”

• Septet

A hundred years ago, you could afford to buy a house with a minimum wage job.

• Critias

Have Mommy wipe your tears, change your diaper, place you in a Safe Space, and shut the door.

• Justthetruth

In my own experience I find I have to make a distinction between millennials raised by simpering suburban white people from pretty much all others. The latter seem to have a lot to contribute; the former little more than an extension of their parents’ preciousness. (Yes, not all suburban white people are simpering, but there do seem to be an awful lot of them).

• David R

So many generalizations and anecdotal stories in here. I wonder if we lined up editorials like this from every generation what we would find in common? The golden age myth is nice to think about but isn’t real. The myth about the generation before and it’s values and work ethic is as old as time. Yes technogy is a big difference but come on, people are people.

• David Robinson

Sidenote: I’m not a millennial. Gen X, which I believe had very similar things said about it. As did the Baby Boomers. Also, each generation raises the one after it, so if it really was that bad (which it isn’t), then shouldn’t we be more self-reflective?

• Charlotte Scott

As a millenial, I take a special interest in baby boomers: watching as they die out from heart attacks, thus opening up jobs for less whiny, hardworking individuals who can’t get jobs because baby boomers won’t retire.

• samsamsamsam

Jesus Christ this terrible.

• Critias

Oh look, another new account created just to complain about this article. Super awesome.

• Ashy Larry

Oh look, someone’s mad people decided to share their opinion because they disagree! Remember everyone, you’re not allowed to start commenting for the first time ever on THIS article. Pick another article to have your first comments on, cowards

• Ambapaluku Jagadambapaluku

Why is that a problem? Not all of us spend our lives in the comment sections of articles.

• Bozley

You can take your post count and account creation date and shove it. New account or old, everyone has the right to come on here and point out that this article is garbage.

And I’d like to remind everyone that this is the same editorial staff that put out “Being White in Philly”. It’s no news that these are unenlightened people. Philly should just ignore this rag.

• Critias

Oh my! You can take your own idiotic tripe and shove it.
          Wow, it’s so empowering to tell some random Internet commenter to “shove it”. I bet you feel all tough, right? What a joke.

• Bozley

Skirting the issue much? The article was terrible, someone made an account to let it be known, and you poo-pooed them for it. Why don’t you address that before trying to start a tit-for-tat on language?

• Jack Makinson Sanders

Clearly you are miserable, ignorant and no one likes you.

• Critias

“Hello, Kettle?”
      –“Yes?”

“This is Pot. You’re black.”

• tunasammich

Is the woman who wrote this article your mom or something?

• Critias

You’re so clever, I could just pinch you. Wow. It must have taken you a whole hour to think up that little retort! Now go get your shine box.

• just keep walking

Not surprised you look down on shine boxes also.Good people who tried to make an honest contribution,unlike you.Someone
            didn’t raise you right.

• Critias

Why yes, you’re absolutely right. Trust a moron grey troll not to get a movie reference.

• cretenass

True I don’t watch your movies,I’m using the top definition in the urban dictionary.But how did you answer me so quick?

• insider

She is Sandy’s intern,and this is her assignment.

• cretenass

I you tubed your b.s. Hollywood gangster movie scene and I saw a grey troll get killed for saying that.He meant it derogatory
            and paid the price.You assume I’m a grey moron troll..When you assume you make an ass out of u but not me.

• Critias

Yes, he did mean it in a derogatory manner. Very good!!! So did I! You ARE a gray account, and you are a troll. Two plus two equals four, and when you complete first grade you’ll probably learn that. Bye now.

• your turn

Please tell me you’re not the moderator looking at my sign-in
            info account.It’s private to public.Learn from you’re movie some
            people don’t take kindly to derogatory comments about shining
            shoes,especially not that onetime shoeshine Mafioso gangster in Goodfellows.

• Ed in Heaven

Hiyooo!

• Jeff Garis

A friendly reminder from your friends in Generation X: bitly.com/1PkBosk
    (Eat Your Paisley!)

• Brad

I don’t know what was more entertaining, Ms. Hingston’s piece or the overwrought comments by those who are clearly members of the group she is so accurately describing. Well done, Ms. Hingston. I can almost overlook the fact that you and your generation “ruined the world.”

• Septet

When I was a kid, gas was less than a dollar. Now it’s more than 2 dollars. Millenials didn’t do that, YOU did. You used to be able to buy a house on a minimum wage job. Now you can’t afford a one bedroom apartment with that, much less support a family. Millenials didn’t do that, YOU did. There’s a swirling vortex of trash the size of Texas in the Pacific Ocean. Millenials didn’t do that, YOU did.

Boomers created Millenials, and just like Victor Frankenstein creating Adam, they’re horrified at what they’ve unleashed. Also like Dr. Frankenstein, they’re the real monster in this story.

• Brad

I would probably be insulted..if I were a boomer!

• wondertwinalpha

“There’s a swirling vortex of trash the size of Texas in the Pacific Ocean. Millenials didn’t do that, YOU did.”

“During the first decade of the 21st century, more plastics were produced than during the entire 20th century.” I am not sure you can blame this solely on the Boomers.

• Chris

is not valid HTML, but then again I guess I shouldn’t expect an old guy to know that. 😉

• Brad

Respect your elders, sonny! 😉 I wasn’t wearing my progressive lenses when I wrote that!

• Chris

Did you shake your cane at me as you wrote that? Please say yes…

• Brad

Yes. And get off my lawn. 😉

• Chris

My little millennial heart is thusly satisfied.

• Jasmine Abigail

I’m sorry you’re struggling with your own mortality and imminent irrelevance. I’m sure there are plenty of Ezekiels and Melchiors for you to kvetch with on Facebook. An inane little platform brought to us by an upstart who didn’t feel the need to earn credibility the way cheese does.

• Susanne Collins

*wastes valuable office time by inserting clapping hands emoji here*

• Eric the Red

cave-aged?

• Critias

Oh look, a new account created just to kvetch at the author, How, like, super cute.

• Jasmine Abigail

thx bb <3 😉 😛 <33 It's not like baseless public writing invites criticism or nuthin <3

• ?

Can somebody please translate for the old people?

• Jasmine Abigail

Translation: Why thank you, you sarcastic sweetheart cherub angel who is either the author in disguise or a loved one with gouda intentions. Love to you and yours. This article was such biased, age-discriminatory drivel that I felt it my American duty to respond.

• O.K.

Thanks,that I agree with,but I have to work on the symbols.

• nameless troll

Well the author is aged, you have to admit,but sends out a strong stink.This ‘Critias’ commentator is much more annoying though.Maybe the same or at least closely acquainted,obviously.

• Jasmine Abigail

I think so too lol it’s super cute how she comments that on everyone who negatively responds after, what, stalking each individual persons discus profile? Adorbz.

• Paulo

Write a story about how non more millennials bankrupt society with entitlement benefits

• Nadine Bonner

I have had my issues with Millennials in the work place,too, but it pays to remember that the slogan of the 70s was “never trust anyone over 30” and Paul McCartney who wrote “Will you still love me when I’m 64?”, which seemed ancient to him then. We matured. They will, too.

• Gn

So you apparently work for a company that hires morons. Pot calls kettle black? In all seriousness though, as a baby boomer weren’t you guys labeled almost exactly the same way you’re describing millennials? Additionally, isn’t it your generation who gave birth to and raised a good portion of the first millennials? You must be an absolute joy to work with. The flower children have the audacity to dump all over the kids they brought into world, while also sacking them with 17 trillion in debt. The cognitive dissonance required to pen this garbage is mind blowing. I swear to Christ, baby boomers are legitimately the worst generation of Americans. Complaining about a generation having everything handed to them, while they were handed the wealthiest country in the world in its most productive and wealthy period ever. Nobody liked you guys when you were petulant hippies dumping on their parents and Nam vets, nobody liked you when you completely sold out on your former ideals and integrated into the corporate world, nobody liked you as you gutted our manufacturing capacity and shooed it overseas, and nobody likes you now as you complain about the culture and society you’re responsible for creating. Nah, it’s cool though, we’ll clean up your mess much like our grandparents did for you.

• Joseph Ahmed

The Millennials described in this article absolutely exist and are incredibly annoying. That’s right, annoying to me. A Millennial. As others have pointed out, the character traits lambasted in the article are particular to a very narrow demographic (educated, middle-to-upper class, liberal). That alone leads to this article being astoundingly biased. Yes, some Millennials are like this. Many are not. Please stop identifying this generation by the behavior of a few members. That doesn’t mean stop talking about these problems and differences in values. By all means! Let’s have it all out. We Millennials (like everyone) could certainly use a a long hard look in the mirror. But why does it need to be couched in such blanket statements? In what way does that add anything useful to inter-generational discourse? Is this article just trying to get more clicks by making intentionally inflammatory, regurgitated generalizations? I sure hope not, because that reeks of the very behavior the article vilifies.

• Stu Johnson

And conversely, stop blaming all “boomers” for a the outcome of a far longer game than one generation.But otherwise, I agree with you completely. As for your last question, the answer is yes, most definitely.

• Susanne Collins

Aside from all of the ridiculous, inflammatory, and biased comments about an entire generation….I’m mostly bothered by how this article is lazy, boring, pandering “journalism.” It’s irritating that in order to support your gut assumption that millennials are lazy and out to get you, you had to resort solely to anecdotal incidents with a handful of individuals. You even started the article by admitting you hadn’t done your research and made baseless conclusions based on TWO sentences from another article! Regardless of a difference of opinion here, this is garbage journalism and I’m shocked it was allowed to be published. We’ve been handed these “millennials are ruining the world and are way too sensitive” articles about every day or so since the term “millennial” was coined, and it’s just boring at this point. We millennials are here. To stay. And no amount of lazy, boring, uninformed “journalism” is going to change that. Buckle up, Sandy. Go ahead and write in your diary about how much millennials annoy you, but don’t kid yourself that publishing your list of grievances counts as hard-hitting important journalism.

• Andy

Don’t be so sensitive. This is story is not a piece of investigative journalism, it’s a light opinion/entertainment piece. The author has undoubtedly exaggerated the facts to emphasize her point and in an attempt to be funny. I’m sure at heart she doesn’t truly hate your entire generation.
      The most ironic thing about this piece, which did make me chuckle in several places, is that the last generation to come along with such an entitled attitude towards the older generation was in fact the Baby Boomers. I think that’s why the Millennials bother them so much.

• PAPlan

But isn’t it funny that she used examples that are also obviously supposed to be light opinion/entertainment pieces and lambasted them as supposedly serious writings of a generation? I mean seriously, I don’t even know anybody that reads Hello Giggles, and surely not for serious introspective writing.

• rg

Right? It’s a blog post. Get a hold of yourselves.

• Critias

Yay! Another new account created to reply to this article negatively!

• http://www.appleoutsider.de/ AppleOutsider.de – Sebastian P

I think it’s a ridiculous piece of garbage as well – I’ll be 40 this year and I have a couple thousand comments.

There better?

• Elfa

Yeah, you’re from Germany, so not really part of this discussion as much as a blank observer.

Right I forgot, your impact on the rest of the world is practically zero.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Aspiegel.de+millenials

• Elfa

This isn’t about America’s impact on other countries, its about how our own generations treat each other.

ok I’ll speak slowly: we have this too. We also have that Generation. And our journalists are writing this bullshit too.

So no this isn’t just about the US. Well maybe not about the names because Germany has rigorous naming laws. The state doesn’t allow for ridiculous names

• Elfa

Not sure if that’s a terrible invasion of rights or a good idea.

Good question. I’m torn on this because it’s overbearing in some cases and especially when it comes to foreign names it quickly gets into ridiculousness. I guess we have the same opinion on this.

Then again Alice Island.

it prevents stupidity like naming your kid “North” when your last name is “West”. It mostly is a means to protect the dignity of the child and I think that’s a good thing.

• Elfa

I guess in the end, I’m a dope. I never realised this generational issue was affecting anyone outside of the US, I always figured it as a cultural by product of American life.

We copy you guys so much it might very well still be right. So many US TV shows, the Internet, foreign exchange students – And not to mention grumpy old geezers since Ancient Greece 😉

• Critias

MUCH better, yes. When someone simply creates multiple random accounts to throw negative crap at an article, it’s stupid. When a real person does so, it’s of value (or it should be). No matter the opinion, mind you, yes, yours does carry some weight.

• ArsVampyre

Statistically millennials produce less, consume more, are more demanding, and far less capable then previous generations. Face it, as a generation you’re a group of narcissistic failures. Twitter is not activism.

• Chris

Post citations for your claims please, I have heard the exact opposite.

• Fish

also lmao! like maybe your institutions and demands that seem so concrete that we might be “failures” by their imaginary judgement are just decrepit and ineffective … like LOL as if your standards (AS IF u even speak for your gen anyways) were gonna last any longer than you…thats just common sense….also, for good measure, I know from the incredible ignorance of your posts that I am smarter and more capable than you. FOR REAL. Like I will go to sleep tonight (at my parent’s house) KNOWING this. Please keep posting, you are a beacon of ignorance and we should all be so lucky as to have conservative views such as yours disseminated in such a plain and combative manner – U left yourself out to dry :’) *crying-laughter emoji*

• garlicarse

I don’t have any ”statistics”,but I see some bad parenting sometimes.

• Elfa

Yeah….you’re about as “here to stay” as the old “boomer” who wrote this article. Have fun whining about the how the next gen is ruining your millennial paradise in 30 years.

• http://mechaninja.tumblr.com/ mechakisc

This article gets rewritten at least annually by different short-sighted older folks, I assume mostly for rage-clicks. Older folks who aren’t short-sighted understand that there are smart young people and stupid young people, and that this is part of the circle of life.

• Nyellie Renner

I’m a millennial and I found this hilarious and refreshing. It’s great to have a laugh at yourself sometimes.

• Gn

So you apparently work for a company that hires morons. Pot calls kettle black, no? In all seriousness though, as a baby boomer weren’t you guys labeled in almost exactly the same way you’re describing millennials? Additionally, isn’t it your generation who gave birth to and raised a good portion of the first millennials? You must be an absolute joy to work with. The flower children have the audacity to dump all over the kids they brought into world, while also sacking them with 17 trillion in debt. The cognitive dissonance required to pen this garbage is mind blowing. I swear to Christ, baby boomers are legitimately the worst generation of Americans. Complaining about another generation having everything handed to them, while they were handed the wealthiest country in the world during its most productive and wealthy period ever. Nobody liked you guys when you were petulant hippies dumping on their parents and Nam vets, nobody liked you when sold yourselves out and renounced your former ideals by integrating into the corporate world, nobody liked you as you gutted our manufacturing capacity and shipped it overseas, and nobody likes you now as you complain about the culture and society you’re responsible for creating. This PC BS you speak of is because you guys are the ones in control of the educational system, not us. They did nothing for everything, turned it to crap, and are now complaining about the poor saps inheriting it. It’s cool though, we’ll clean up your mess much like our grandparents did for you.

• Nyellie Renner

Gn, it’s our turn now. Stop being a baby about it (no pun intended) and roll with the punches. We will have our turn to complain about a generation.

• Gn

The issue is that I’ve found this to be the prevailing mentality in a lot of the corporate world. Not everyone that’s a baby boomer believes this, but most share the opinion of the author.

• Ashy Larry

“Nobody liked you guys when you were petulant hippies dumping on their parents and Nam vets, nobody liked you when sold yourselves out and renounced your former ideals by integrating into the corporate world, nobody liked you as you gutted our manufacturing capacity and shipped it overseas, and nobody likes you now as you complain about the culture and society you’re responsible for creating.” PREACH boomers = worst generation since the mid 1800s

• Daniel Swinney

Frank Zappa named two of his kids Moon Unit and Dweezil. That tells me all I need to know about people born in the 1940s.

• Tommy Grover

Um Zappa was a rock star, not an unknown hipster poser. He could afford to be weird.

• Miranda Sparks

Why is weirdness the exclusive property of the rich?

• Tommy Grover

It’s not, but if you want your kid to be an outcast for their name, be sure you can afford to support them.

• Miranda Sparks

You shouldn’t conform because other people are jerks. That’s putting the responsibility of social exclusion on parents, and not the people doing the excluding.

• calbeck

Aaaand that’s two kids who are going to learn that most of the world doesn’t want to conform to them, any more than they want to conform to it.

There’s a “happy middle”, but this ain’t it. And both Moon Unit and Dweezil ended up being virtually sidelined thanks to their names — the former best-known for singing on her dad’s big hit “Valley Girl”, the latter for a supporting role in the animated series “Duckman”.

Interesting note there: the vapid, airheaded, materialistic and self-centered “Valley Girl” described in the song had many of the same linguistic and social tones as many modern millennials.

Except valley girls were at least laid back. Millennials freak out over EVERYTHING (particularly if their friends are already freaking out over whatever it is).

• teabagtheteaparty

Actually both of them are highly successful in their own right. Dweezil is of equal tier to his own father as a musician, and Moon Unit has had a long-running career as a B actor. Both of them are independently wealthy, even in L.A. where the cost of living is ridiculous.

Besides calbeck, eventually your whole generation will be dead, and all the people who thought “man, that’s weird to be named Moon Unit” will all be dead too.

In other words, time moves on and leaves your value system behind. Millenials don’t have to worry, they just have to watch you guys all die first.

Same thing with locking in a permanent Progressive majority. Just wait for old rural white dudes to all die off, and the problem solves itself.

Conservatives have already lost the culture war. They just don’t realize it yet 😉

• calbeck

“B actor” and “highly successful” are mutually exclusive terms. Dweezil’s musical career has never stepped from his father’s shadow, either, and of course they’re wealthy, they’re the children of celebs who never went down the self-destruction road.

So hey, sure, if you’re rich enough that your kids will be able to overcome your giving them socially-awkward names, go for it. Just remember you’re the one who put the millstone around their necks.

• teabagtheteaparty

You realize that most of Zappa’s music he had to buy back, or sue back from his own labels, and he had to design and build his own studio, plus self-fund all his later albums. The Zappas never really made giant piles of cash. Zappa only had one song that ever played on the radio (Valley Girl). Everything else never played. And his albums rarely made it into the top 25 (Apostrophe made it to 10th in the US, when he was signed with Warner Brothers).

Dweezil is almost unfortunately tied to his own father, as most of his audience comes to watch him nail his Dad’s music.

But Dweezil’s music is actually really good on its own (and I had started out listening to his covers from his dad, as I damn love Frank’s music)

There are all kinds of gradient of actor. Generally if you’ve been in film, you’re successful. If you’ve got several TV shows, many cameos, and 15+ feature length films, you’re doing pretty well. Especially because she’s got her Dad’s nose, and that’s not a friendly look for Hollywood.

• calbeck

Not dissing Dweezil as a quality player, but my points stand: he’s never gotten out from under his dad’s shadow, nor has his sister. You’re championing kids who had a great head-start to begin with, who never broke from that mold, as examples of how their names somehow don’t mean anything…

…except their names are mainly what they are known FOR. And generally not in a good way. It doesn’t matter whether or not you think that’s unfair or immoral. It’s a simple hard reality. And it’s the same for every other kid so afflicted by parents whose personal desire to “subvert the dominant paradigm” winds up being an unnecessary war they bequeath unto their children.

Gee, when I put it that way, the parents sound like Bush. -:/

• Natronimus Maximus

i agree with you about the culture war. demographics are not working in favor of conservatives.

• gust_of_wind_dance

I was born in 89 and frequently troll people of my own age about the utter bullshit they take offense to under an anonymous moniker. It’s hilariously satisfying.

• Tommy Grover

Spoken in the true words of a trust fund kid.

• PAPlan

So there were no unknown ridiculous hippies born in the 1940s and 1950s who gave their kids weird names? I highly doubt it. Her other example was an actress.

• Tommy Grover

They sure did, and they learned from that mistake when their kids changed their names to function in society.

• PAPlan

OK, but what does that have to do with the price of beans in China? This is an article about millennials, not about universally stupid child naming conventions.

• Tommy Grover

Ask the commenter to whom I responded when he said, “Frank Zappa named two of his kids Moon Unit and Dweezil. That tells me all I need to know about people born in the 1940s.”

• nameless troll

Because if everyone in China farted at the same time,the earth
            would crack.
            And here’s a side note to Sandy;as a boomer it looks to me like we messed things up by being helicopter parents.We micro-managed and home-schooled the innocent kids crazy, and generally messed up everything else we got our hands on.
            We created the cult of the child.If you have spoiled offspring
            maybe you are the problem because mine are stellar.Judging from your past articles I think you decided it was time to ‘jump the shark’.

• PAPlan

I immediately thought of this. You beat me to it.

• teabagtheteaparty

Actually Zappa didn’t name his kids. He waited for them to be old enough to name themselves and let them pick their own names out. Moon Unit wanted to be called “Moon”, but Frank suggested she couldn’t be the whole moon, but could be a moon component. And so Moon Unit was born.

Hey, you know, I’m a millenial and I know that. Sucka mah balls privileged old guy (who wrote the article). We remember your generations as those embarrassing people who really enjoyed beating up black people, doing way too many drugs, and never figuring out how to actually stay married and run a family.

Grats boomers, your contributions have been ever so useful.

• ArsVampyre

Her name is Sandy. It’s in what we call a By-line.

Trigger warning: I’m about to lay out some truths Millennials don’t want to hear.

The primary expression of the millennial is narcissism. They are generally lazier, less capable, and less productive than older generations. They’re more demanding and self-important, and less capable of functioning in society without the support of their parents.

My suggestion would be for them to wake up out of their fantasy-land where they think they’re irreplaceable. You are a cog in a great machine. You may be a better cog than other cogs around you, but you’re still a cog. You aren’t Mark Zuckerburg. And if you raise your kids the way you were raised, they’ll be even bigger failures.

Life isn’t foam-coated for your protection. Start learning to avoid the sharp edges instead of demanding we protect you from them.

• Aaron68

You just described Donald Trump. Are you sure you are talking about Millennials?

• Kirk Thomas

Do you care to provide some kind of source for that claim?

It’s funny for you to call Millennials failures in a comment on an article posted on the Internet that you probably found on Facebook.

Don’t worry, it’s the same way your parents felt when you told them you were packing up to follow the Grateful Dead

• Eric Klinger

Sandy is also sometimes a guy’s name. She does refer to herself as a lady-person in the article, but…

• teabagtheteaparty

Hehe, I’m an Engineer, there’s no way you’ve worked as hard as I have in my lifetime. Thanks for flailing at me with a foam sword, but I have important things to do like resolve the legacy contamination your generations left mine to clean up.

And bring all you Baby Boomers down from your cocaine fueled dream of the 1980s Reagan years. There’s a reason why Baby Boomers are known as the most selfish generation. You can tell by their rates of drug abuse (extremely high), divorce (highest, significantly worse than millenials), and spousal abuse/cheating (also significantly worse than millenials).

By this point in their development, Millenials are significantly more responsible and family-oriented than the boomers. Because the boomers largely prioritized making money over having a family.

You have to realize that culturally, my generation has pushed back against the same values you espouse. Because we’ve had decades of research, and the product of our own crappy, latchkey parents to inform us on exactly what not to do with our lives.

We’ll never be like you because you ignored the problems with your philosophies, and we’re your kids, so we didn’t.

Just like your generation passively attempted to stop being scummy, vehement racists and child abusers like your parents (the Silent Generation), we are trying to raise families and place value in making do with less.

Which is to say, if we don’t, we’re going to exacerbate climate change, so the idea that money can buy happiness is patently false because it’s causing misery that collectively gets eaten by everyone.

… “if you raise your kids the way you were raised” … HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH

• Steph

ArsVampyre, I caution you in that all generations are filled with narcissistic lazy people. I’m a millennial, a manager of 19 staff, all gen xers. The laziest group of people I’ve ever encountered. How dare I expect them to do their job!!! Every generation has people like this. I don’t judge their entire generation badly due to their incompetence. I often put 50-60 hours in a week, and I assure you I’m not an outlier. You and Sandy are making broad generalizations based off a few examples. I can’t imagine your elders ever felt this way about your generation…..oh wait, they did.

• MargaretK

Such generalizations. A lot of us work very hard, aren’t spoiled, pay for our own schooling, happily grind away to earn our place and are honest and hardworking people. Hard for me to respect anyone who makes such sweeping comments regardless of their age.

• Daniel Swinney

Cool, I wasn’t aware. Still gonna throw that on the weird end of the parenting spectrum.

• Jonathan Hart

Boomers did invent the internet on which you troll, give them some credit.

• Fred

Teabagger here is a great example of a millennial. In a single post, we have an authoritative telling of a false urban legend, proof that Teabagger just skimmed the article but didn’t actually read it or comprehend it, and a dismissive attitude towards elders. It’s a millennial trifecta! Well done, you.

• Fred

• x

Zappa had a limited fan base.He didn’t get high or allow his band members to.He was only a joke.If you want to paint a picture of boomers don’t use him.

• Daniel Swinney

That’s my point. The weirdest people are not a great example of any generation.

• x again

Oh sorry,I took it wrong.I thought something didn’t add up about the 1940’s comment ,but being a stoned boomer on my
          couch I didn’t give it enough thought.Thanks for correcting me.

• Clifton Hanger

Stopped reading at “As a boomer”.
    Do everybody a favor and Just retire already.

• buzzkill_ed

I also got 3 words in. Scanned a little more. Nothing to see here.

• Tangelo

Was trying for four words too hard on the brain?

• buzzkill_ed

Nope. The terrible writing was hard on the brain.

• 837654120003567

And yet you’re 2 hours deep into the comment section, little parrot.

• farago

Boomers reap what they sew. They spent their formative years flying the banner, “Trust no one over 30.” They turned our educational institutions into mush-minded victimology centers. And they ran our economy into the ground with gargantuan Keynesian giveaways. Now we’re left with an economy without opportunity because it’s so overregulated and mismanaged. We have a generation of identify politics twits who have been raised on faux-history and believe lack of offense is the highest virtue. The Millennials? They’re the child of the abusive, alcoholic. They are the lingering, reactionary effect of the self-absorbed, ego centric, “we are the ones we’ve been waiting for” Boomers. Please, destroy each other so we can get back to the America who achieved great things and provided endless opportunity and liberty.

• Septet

My father is a Boomer and he can still remember when black people and Native Americans couldn’t vote. My grandmother was alive before women could vote. That’s not “endless opportunity and liberty”. Take off your godsbedamned rose-tinted glasses and take a good, hard look at your history.

• farago

Thank you for your comments. As I said . . .

• dp

Helllooooooooooooo? What’s that faint voice I hear drifting in from the great beyond? Oh, my! It’s a GenXer! Nary a mention here, though, of this overlooked generation save an offhand attribution to some Xer’s “tart” tweet that, to our boomer author’s delight, slams a millennial.

It’s like I don’t even exist.

You know what? We GenXers are tired of the bickering between the boomers and millennials. Take note millennial, I may not be worthy of discussion in this article or its commentary, but I’m still paying off your college tuition. And boomer? I’m shopping for your nursing home as we speak. So put a lid on it already. Or I’ll separate you two.

• Young Ji Kwon

Best comment on this article by far.

• MackeyDIngo

Thank you. All 84 million of us do not exist. Why should it suprise us that the latchkey kids are still being ignored?

And we are delighted to hear the most self involved generation ever bicker with the most coddled generation ever.

The country went from latchkey kids to helicopter parents.

• Yisheng Qingwa

Nice wig, dude.

• ArsVampyre

GenX donates more, both in time and money, than Boomers or millennials. More self-reliant than millennials, which is damning with faint praise, I agree. Oh humble GenXer, fear not. Sometimes it’s better to just not be mentioned at all.

• Elfa

I would like to award you comment of the century.

• here we go again

GenXers,boomers,millenials.Don’t you know Tom Brokaw (born 1940) has already declared his generation “the greatest generation”.

• history’s_rhyme

I work with some millennials. Did you know that they weren’t even born in the same general time period as my other coworkers? Most of the millennials I surveyed reported a more recent year of birth than the employees that were present before the millennials showed up. Isn’t that odd? It’s as if they haven’t experienced the normative values of workplace culture, or had formative relationships which taught them to value the needs of some other person over their own immediate desires.

I only hope that someone teaches them be snide and condescending. Also, I hope that this publication removes all traces of millennial culture, especially the egoistic listicle format. I mean, who has the audacity to assign rank and number to events that happen in a week, or even a year?

http://www.phillymag.com/author/shingston/

• J. Foreman

Four Reasons Why This Article About Millennials is Absurd Nonsense and Why Baby-Boomers Only Come Across Worse When They Write Them:
    (Disclaimer: A Baby Boomer is roughly someone between 51 and 70, and a Millennial is someone aged 18-36… also if you don’t have a lot of time, jump to the final paragraph at the bottom for the main point)

1. The articles author, Sandy Hingston, spends an absurd amount of ink judging and belittling people my age for naming their children odd things. 5 whole paragraphs, and a closing paragraph about Zooey Deschanel naming her daughter Elise Otter. What a non-issue to harp on, and has she forgotten all the nonsense that members of her generation named their kids? Sure we have Gwyneth Paltrow naming her kid Apple, but do I need to bring up the Zappa’s, naming their kids Dwezel and Moon Unit? And heaven forbid Millennials wanting their children to be individuals, and not naming the one billionth baby John, Michael, or Brian. How brazen and narcissistic! For shame!

2. She goes on to say “Still, I believe the children are our future, so I try to be kind to them in spite of their obliviousness” (can you feel the disdain and judgement oozing out of that statement), and then rails against us for wanting “hardwood floors, greenery and sunlight” in the work place before devolving into a laundry list of things she’s seen young people want in movies of tech start ups (beers on tap, ping pong tables, stuff no real person expects at work). Are we “oblivious” for wanting our work environment to be a place we would actually want to spend time in? And hasn’t the pressure that my generation placed on employers made everyone’s work environment better? We aren’t the only ones who benefit from plants, wood floors, and sunlight. Seems to me your generation was the oblivious one for allowing yourselves, in white collar situations, to work in such horrible conditions in the first place.

3. Hingston says: “My generation was raised on stories and myths about people who trudged their way through the ranks to positions of power: Ben Franklin, John Rockefeller, Oprah Winfrey. Millennial fairy tales are all about disrupters, the young Jacks who slay the old, slow giants: Evan Spiegel, Mark Zuckerberg, Steve Jobs.” AHHHHH! ARE YOU KIDDING! First off, STEVE JOBS WAS A BABY BOOMER! Way to cherry pick idols to support your point of view, let alone comparing our current crop of still living innovators like Zuckerberg to CENTURIES DEAD B. Franklin. And while we are on the matter, our generation was recently called “The Ben Franklin Generation” in a think piece on the Huffington Post by Adam Hanft (a baby boomer by the way).

4. And then Ms. Hingston posits our inability to read the “classics” has doomed us. “There was a time when young people were expected to read the classics — books written by old, or even dead, people…Do [millennials] think they’ll be writing about sunshine and rainbows and puppies, for chrissake? If you haven’t read great works of literature because you find them triggering, how will you write about famine or child rape or serial killers or global warming? What fathoms of the human experience will go unplumbed because gazing into those depths is really, really hard?”. Oh man, this one makes me mad. First, how freaking western lit.-centric can you be? I wonder how the 2/3s of the global population that is not western based is able to make their societies work at all with out “Notes From the Underground”, “David Copperfield”, or “The Illyad”. Also, has she seen any statistics on the college graduation rates of my generation? We are THE MOST EDUCATED GENERATION IN HUMAN HISTORY! More of us have read the classics then the Boomers and WWII generation combined. And, maybe, just maybe, “great literature” should be reexamined. Maybe there are …. heaven forbid…. triggers of stupid, racist, or mysognistic ideas that your generation has rolled over and tolerated that mine won’t.

This article is dumb. But what is even dumber is trying to claim that 75 MILLION INDIVIDUALS bare a commonality as dismissively expressed as Ms.Hingston has done. She is old, and thinks young people are annoying, plain and simple. Sun rise sun set. Cool, just don’t say that I’m egotistical/lazy/vapid just because I happen to be 28, and you don’t like your 24 year old intern. In the past couple years I’ve grown up and realized the concept of Generations is bunk. I can only hope that Ms.Hingston can mature as fast as this millennial has.

• piglover

You could at least spell “Iliad” correctly. Your lengthy and outraged comment rather proves the point of the original article (which was clearly meant to be humorous and to that end it contained some truths, some half-truths and some mere rhetoric for effect.)

• Bozley

Sorry, but Foreman was right. The author uses humor to assert a position of superiority that she just doesn’t have. That’s what makes it so infuriating. If the article was purely for the sake of humor, it’s bad comedy.

And someone spelled “Iliad” incorrectly. Who cares? Finding a spelling error isn’t an internet trump card. Stop doing that. Please.

But I love what Foreman has to say. “The concept of Generations is bunk.” Do you disagree, piglover?

• nameless troll

This was meant to be humorous? Maybe the AARP magazine would
        be amused.Hire a new millenial author to supervise Sandy.

• Reptilian Hunter

>And heaven forbid Millennials wanting their children to be individuals, and not naming the one billionth baby John, Michael, or Brian. How brazen and narcissistic! For shame!

I had no idea that a name your parents chose for you determines if you’re an individual or not. I wasn’t aware that all of those Johns, Michaels, and Brians were all identical. I bet they’re produced with a cookie cutter.

• Mitch

Classy and insightful article. I agree that all people born between the years of 1980 and 2000 are generally useless, self-invested babies. They won’t grow up until we make them trudge their way through the ranks like I had to. Let’s make sure they don’t get away with that equality-based work ethic and those do-good attitudes.

• Critias

Whoo hoo! Yet another new account created to reply to this article!

• Jamie

Are you the author’s sock puppet gloating over the ad revenue? Yes, sadly this DOES represent the kind of mindless pot-stirring that brings in the bucks. Aren’t you proud of the journalistic “integrity” represented here?

• Critias

LOL! Feel big and righteous now? All puffed up and strong? As though some person simply reading this couldn’t formulate their own intelligent opinion — only if one is a ‘sock puppet’? How small.

• tekelili

Opinions are accepted but you are being intentionally annoying.Ever hear that before?

• Critias

Nope, only from gray trolls, whose opinions are of absolutely no value whatsoever.

• Gray troll

But I think you’re delightful,witty and extremely charming,and
            you have no issues whatsoever.You are a good worker who
            gets right to it as soon as you arrive at work..A real go-getter
            even at 8 a.m.

• Jay

I got a little further in your article then you did about the millennials raising children. I also stopped pretty quickly as you are writing and criticizing an entire generation you don’t seem to understand whatsoever. I’m sorry my generation doesn’t want to go into a sad looking work place where we spend 8-10 hrs of our day and the majority of our lives. I’m sorry that we have a voice, but this doesn’t mean we don’t listen to others who aren’t millennials.

Let me generalize you right now. You are upset when an intern sees you reading a paper, however, maybe it is you and your generation that is very quickly being left in dust by what is considered the most technologically advanced generation as well as one of the most informed.

Hopefully a millennial writes an article titled “Why Boomers Have Made Everything Horrible for Future Generations”

• Critias

Yet another new account created to reply to this article! I wonder if the author has set a new record.

• Septet

At least they’re contributing, unlike SOME people…

• AgentBaa

Yet another comment from the same person who has to reply with the exact same comment every time.

• Critias

That’s right — to every negative troll account I could find. Darned straight. I own what I did.

• MackeyDIngo

Newsflash Jay, NO YOUNG PERSON EVER WANTS TO GO INTO A SAD LOOKING WORKPLACE FOR 8-10 HOURS PER DAY.

When Generation X refused to do it, they were called lazy and underachieving.

When Boomers refused to do it they were called Hippies.

Bottom line? Nothing new here.

• ArsVampyre

It’s work. If you want your office to look like you want it, employ yourself. Otherwise, suck it in and get to work, or get out. Coddling time is over.

• Julie Chovanes

Wrong side of the bed? Philly Mag falling apart? This article aside from being somewhat incoherent, is really quite prejudiced and close minded. (why the gratuitous slam at trans people? Haven’t we made progress about understanding others? And quoting Germanie Greer’s relevance? She was irrelevant to the vast majority of the world when she was “relevant”) Open your eyes dear and grow — I am your generation too and know the cranky old folk who fear fear fear new things. Reminds me of Plato 2400 years ago complaining about the kids today..

• Natronimus Maximus

so the breakthrough here is that different generations are, well, different? of course they are. let’s learn to appreciate each other as we are. as for the hierarchy thing… i get it. and i do think at any company that some hierarchy is important. but we should just keep doing things one way just because that’s the way they’ve always been done. i think that’s one message / truth that we can learn from millennials.

• VernonRoche

Maybe Millenials are that way because your generation ruined the country.
    -Stagnant entry level wages (if you even are able to get an entry level job)
    -Impossibly large student loans (due to the economic policies of your generation, as well as your generation’s need to drill into the heads of the millenials that they needed to go to the best most expensive college)
    -Millenials have to fund the ponzi scheme known as social security, even though they will never see the benefit themselves.
    Boomers ruined the economy with their “screw you we got ours” approach, and they expect millenials to just fall in line and accept it

• Natronimus Maximus

sounds a tad extreme.

• VernonRoche

Whats not accurate about it?

• Natronimus Maximus

suggesting any one generation ‘ruined’ the country. the economic ball bounces many ways, and many times it won’t be in your favor. if you’re angry or resentful, i’d suggest finding more useful ways to release your emotions.

• VernonRoche

I see you still didnt point out anything inaccurate about my initial post

• Natronimus Maximus

you might want to read my comments again.

• Natronimus Maximus

as the dude in the big lebowski would say, you’re not wrong, your just an a**#@*. and i would add to that, all of your points are exaggerations at best. no one generation ‘ruined’ the country. get over yourself, the world doesn’t owe you anything. the sooner you come to terms with that, the more you’ll start viewing the world through the lens of opportunity rather than the lens of anger and resentment. btw i’m not a boomer, i was born in 78.

• VernonRoche

Whats an exaggeration at best? That Millennials have crippling student debt that was in large party brought on by political decisions made before most were even born? That entry level wages have stayed, for the most part, consistant since the 1970s, not staying on pace with inflation? That most employers dont want to hire entry level workers to begin with, or expect them to work unpaid internships first? That millennials will not get the social security they are paying into? Everyone of those things are true.
            As for your other part, the orignal intent of my post, if you had any ability to read in proper context, was letting the author of the article know that Millennials are the product of his generation, as he went on an anti-Millennial screed. I never stated the world “owes” Millennails anything, I never made a single comment about what Millenials are “owed.” You are just attempting to paint my in a bad light because you cannot refute my points.

• Natronimus Maximus

no i’m just pointing out that you are taking the author’s article personally and you are reacting emotionally rather than responding. that is why you are attacking boomers in your comment. and yes, i do think you think the world owes you something. you might not be mature enough yet to see that, which is fine.

• VernonRoche

Again, I issued a point by point response to the article. You are the one reacting emotionally, calling me immature, while again, not refuting a single point. That is called argumentum ad hominem, and is an informal logical fallacy. But please go on telling me I am the immature one.

• Natronimus Maximus

you sound really young. i doubt you understand what an emotional reaction even is. i’ve already explained that i believe all of your points are exaggerated at best. you can be upset and carry a chip on your shoulder about all the wrongs you believe the boomers did to your generation (i did for years), or you can start to view life through the lens of opportunity. life is going to hand you the short end of the deal again and again and again. my advice is to adjust your worldview and start identifying a.) what you’re grateful for and be.) what opportunities you can take advantage of.

• VernonRoche

It’s great you “believe” the points are “exaggerate at best” (which implies that some of my points are outright false.” And you certainly have a right to “Believe” that without any supporting evidence. That doesn’t make it correct.

Again, you are attacking the debater rather than the substance of the debate. That is something that people do in debates when they know you are losing. You are also engaging in argumentum ad verecundiam by claiming you are older and thus wiser than me. Another logical fallacy.
            Furthermore, you are again moving the goalposts. My initial post was a rebuttal of an article claiming why millenials are terrible, by arguing why they (as a whole) are that way. You insist, however, on trying to twist my argument into one about how the world is unfair, or something. I never stated that, and your intellecutal dishonesty is another symptom of one who is losing an argument.

• Natronimus Maximus

i’m well aware of the meaning of the academic terms you are using. i’m simply not approaching this conversation in that way. you are indeed too lacking in life experience to understand my comments or really what i’m getting at.

• VernonRoche

“I’m well aware I am unable to rebut your points in any way whatsoever, either academically or practically, so I am going to continue to belittle your life experiences while knowing absolutely nothing about you, instead.” Bold strategy Cotton.

• PAPlan

You forgot “while completely ignoring punctuation and grammar.”

• Natronimus Maximus

your collection of posts tell me plenty about you.

• VernonRoche

Two way street, buddy.

• Stu Johnson

I agree with you in the general sense. I don’t care for the article. It paints with too broad a brush. But the ruin of our country has been a longer game than one generation. Remember that there were very old men that were the millionaires that crashed the economy during the early part of the century. They were of a generation before the boomers, called the silent generation. In 1945, those same evil old white men, wanted to install a totalitarian military controlled government. Carnegie, Rockefeller. Morgan, DuPont, Melon, and the ring leader, Prescott Bush (Jeb’s grandfather). They were thwarted, by that periods “Oliver North” (Major General Smedley Butler) but then turned their attention to undoing the provisions of Glass/Steagall. And it wasn’t until the “boomers” were firmly in control that they succeeded. As a result, I will most likely die at work rather than ever retire. So I won’t argue with your premise, but remember it wasn’t all of us just like there are some in your generation that are messed up too. But this article is extremely exaggerated.

“We are giants, raised by pygmies and taught to walk in a perpetual mental crouch” – Robert Anton Wilson.

• VernonRoche

Fair enough. The “screw you, we got ours” mentatility I mentioned was more a criticism of the ways the rules were taken advantage of by many of the boomers in authority positions tobenefit themselves while crippling those same benefits for future generations. And I wont argue that many millenials are messed up as anything, but I just believe there are many general reasons for that.

• Stu Johnson

A lot of us didn’t get “ours”.

• Alex Palombo

Kindly go yell at a cloud, and talk to some working millennials before you write your next “thought” piece, because I can assure you, not much thought went into writing this one. The sooner we stop blaming the generation before or after us for problems, the better off we’ll all be.

• McGair Valois

The first paragraph of this article stopped me cold when I realized an old lady was going to waste my time with a ” the kids these days..” ramble. A number of my millennial aged friends have had babies recently and guess what they named them? John, Elijah, Emma, and other names that won’t be a “50lb albatross around their necks”.

Oh by the way, my boomer parents named me McGair, and the only burden I’ve had is with simple people like the author who think they can take judgement on a person’s name.

• JD

FTR, I think your name kicks ass. Haters shall, in fact, hate. It was ever thus.

• JD

Sure, you’re a bad writer and a TERF, but at least your clickbait worked magnificently. Six of one, half a dozen of the other, amirite? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• Kwon

simply contemplating germaine greer’s comments (not necessarily agreeing) and acknowledging her importance to the development of the women’s liberation movement shouldn’t count one as a TERF…

• Septet

Saying that people shutting down Greer is ever a bad thing is suspicious. Also, the scare quotes around “hurtful” are suspicious. Also, the use of “hurtful” to describe blatant transphobia and thinly veiled eugenics ideology are suspicious. Hey, that’s three suspicious things! What’s that old saying? Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action…

• Kwon

“Saying that people shutting down Greer is ever a bad thing is suspicious.”
          i have no point against this, as this was not how i perceived the author’s intent to be. from the context of the piece, it seemed more like she wished younger activists didn’t assume greer shouldn’t be heard simply because she was an older woman, as her experience in activism (particularly in gender theory) proved helpful in the past; that they may not be relevant now, but that doesn’t mean they should be easily dismissed as coming from a place of ignorance.

i assumed “hurtful” was used, and in quotation marks, as a direct reference to the words used by the interviewer.

• JD

Hey, for the record? Anyone saying Greer shouldn’t be heard or is irrelevant because of her age is wrong. What suggests she should shut up and listen sometimes is her small, but important, collection of Very Bad Opinions.

• Kwon

thank you for clarifying that.
            although i would admit that a lot of people whom i’ve encountered calling her “irrelevant” have also been quite ageist against her.

• JD

That bird sure is quacking pretty loud, ain’t it?

• Tangelo

The thought police have arrived.

• Yisheng Qingwa

Nice attempt at silencing women with a tired, cliched, meaningless slur.

https://transgendertropes.wordpress.com/

• Critias

“The modern workplace has got to be a lot more egalitarian,” advised Al West, chairman and CEO of SEI, the investment giant out in Oaks. “If you’ve got offices for more senior people, it creates a hierarchy and gets in the way.”

Stupid… most people at SEI absolutely HATE the open floor plan. If you’re not a worker-bee, then you have a desk that allows you to have your back to a wall — a clear sign of hierarchy. If your back is to a corner, you’re a VP-level person.

• muffin_artist

Sandy, I can’t believe that you of all people didn’t add a “[sic]” after that nonword “woah.”

• Cafone

Boomers, the worst generation, really seem to have a problem with millennials for some reason. I’m not part of either of those generations and it seems kind of silly to me.

• Denise Paul

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners,
    contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in
    place of exercise.”

― Socrates

• laania

“Our sires’ age was worse than our grandsires’. We, their sons, are more
      worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
      corrupt.” – Horace

• nameless troll

”The music of the young generation always sounds too loud to the older generation”-Confucious

• Gabi_Designs

Before Critias feels the need to chime in, yes, this is a new account. I felt compelled to create it because I am so tired of articles like this. I am a millennial who graduated right at the start of the recession. I got a job even before graduating, moved to New York on my own, paid for everything on my own, paid my student loans on my own, ones which I will be paying off for many years to come. I have been working consistently for 8 years and currently work at a Fortune 500 company where I play an integral part in creating a product which brings in over $80 million for the company every year. But please, tell me more about how needy I am and how many outlandish things I ask for, all while showing no respect for my older colleagues. Tell me more about how inarticulate I am and how I frequently nap at the office. Please… tell me more about how I’m ruining the workforce. What a joke.

• Just a person

Gee, I learned so much from this insightful article. Oh, wait a minute. No I didn’t.

– Neither a Millennial nor a Boomer be

• atalex

As a GenXerI am laughing — LAUGHING — at this ridiculous Baby Boomer (which is to say a member of the absolute WORST generation in the history of the world) crankily waving his cane at all the young whipper-snappers who dare to confront him with his mortality.

• cranky men against fat ladies

Don’t blame cranky old men with canes for this,she’s a fat old lady.

• Sinny

Pffft! I’m laughing my ass off over here. This guy is obviously drowning in his own self-entitlement issues. His problem is that millennials think they’re special snowflakes, when obviously HE is the specialist snowflake.

To sum up this article in 1/15th of the writing, “DAMN THOSE MILLENIALS; BEING YOUNGER THAN ME AND THINKING THE WORLD OWES THEM SOMETHING. I WORKED HARD FOR MY POMPOUS SELF ENTITLEMENT.”

• Eloi Casali

Well that was a healthy load of bollocks sprinkled with bullshit

• Ry

I love watching the Boomers who raised these idiots pretend that Millenials aren’t their fault. As a millenial raised by a member of the Greatest Generation, I can confidently say that the idiocy of the Boomers has reached its ultimate, ludicrous form in Millenials. Boomers spent their lives navel-gazing, convinced of their own omniscience and the rigtheousness of every one of their decisions. Now that they’re starting to run out of road they’ve finally realized that raising a generation of self-centered narcissistic brats on a steady diet of poltiically-correct candy-coated nonsense may have been a bad idea. Its sad that it took 60 years for them to achieve a modicum of wisdom

• monkeydung

i don’t have time to read this dribble. i need to go figure out how to make a decent living in the economy your generation ruined so i can try to buy a house in a market that your generation ballooned all while living without damaging the environment that your generation disregarded and saving enough money to retire because lord knows your generation is going to take all of my social security.

• dude

this writer sounds awfully upset,

…*offended*, even

• Radcliffe Paul

Thats a good one, pretty much on the mark.

• The Springfield Shopper

Old Woman Yells at Cloud

• TheFuture

Keep your stale work molds, millenials will bail this country out. You did a great job killing it.

• dude

“The Welfare State Generation” turned out to be the most selfish. Whodathunkit?

• Amber (@ YA Indulgences)

It’s always awkward when someone seems to be attempting a bit of a humorous article and you read about three paragraphs and you just don’t see anything especially entertaining about it…

• Νικόλαος יוסף

I’m a millennial (b. 1986), and I couldn’t get past the first paragraph of this trash. So we’re even.

• ManiacScone

no article is as “Old Man Yells at Cloud” as much as this article is “Old Man Yells at Cloud”.

• Ambapaluku Jagadambapaluku

Meanwhile, we have a faltering economy and stagnantly low wages for “millennials” entering the workforce. Boomers created this world today and the millennials themselves, so who is really to blame for all the problems?

• Stu Johnson

Are you suggesting that wages aren’t “stagnantly low” for those of us that have been in the workforce for quite some time?

• Geena Phillips

OF COURSE a baby-boomer wrote this. The only thing more in abundance than the author’s unearned arrogance is her intellectual vacancy.

• Geena Phillips

And naturally she’s a TERF, the current gold standard for intellectual vacancy.

• Miss Andry

Well, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

• MJ

Somehow I managed to make it to the end of this pile of drivel without spraining an ocular ligament from rolling my eyes so hard. God only knows how I managed to get past those first 5 paragraphs complaining about an article from which Ms Hingston read exactly one sentence, and thus decided to generalize an entire age group. About something as petty and frivolous as strange names some parents give their children (because no one EVER gave their children strange names until millennials became parents!)

Once I struggled through that miasma of pseudo-intellectual nonsense, Ms Hingston decides to top it off with complaints that:
    1. these millennial don’t wan’t all their icons to be wealthy white men (God forbid!)
    2. they want notices to help them navigate their education while dealing with mental health issues (the humanity!)
    3. they are poorly educated and (ironically) lack writing skills. Never mind that is categorically untrue and that millennials are the most educated and literate generation in history.

Oh, and to top it off, a bit of transmisogyny apologism and clear ignorance about the subject; “This could be the springboard to an interesting philosophical discussion of identity: What makes a woman a woman, or a man a man?” you mean like the one millenials have been having for the last decade, and trans people have been having since forever?

Perhaps if Ms Hingston paid attention to any of the content she so derides, she might obtain some insights to some of her questions, and actually manage to remain relevant. Instead she’d rather waffle whine about how she doesn’t like change and pine for the old days where being respectful to other people’s identities and experiences wasn’t expected.

• Jamie

I have actually asked a few professors (including several who privately kvetch about the occasional bout of over-entitlement and/or helicopter parenting):

Not one has run into this mythical student who is demanding TW.
      ****
      Still, I find it funny that people who presumably accept and approve of the use of warnings such as:
      – NSFW
      – Spoiler!
      – The following content may be unsuitable for children…
      – Graphic violence

Are the same people who can’t stand the idea that people who may have actually experienced rape might want to be picky about the circumstances under which they read about it. (Hey, maybe I’ll read this AFTER the important interview for the unpaid internship I hope to get so that I can later be gainfully employed!)

• Young Ji Kwon

Am I the only Millennial not butt-hurt over this? A lot of the comments seem to actually prove the author’s points: that we can’t take criticism, that we don’t want to be pushed outside our emotional comfort zones, that we don’t want “guidance,” etc.
    I actually agree with all of the points, based on my observations of young people my age, online and in real, and of myself. Of course, not every Millennial/GenYer possesses the same sense of self-entitlement echoed in the piece written, but it does seem to be a common theme among our generation.

• Septet

Kewl story, bro…

• Kwon

well, i am just sharing my thoughts like the rest of you, lol.

• Stu Johnson

Most of the criticism of my generation, in these comments, are certainly on the mark when it comes to the rich white male power structure that runs, well, everything. As for the rest of us , we didn’t matter to them anyway. And it is true that most of my “radical” friends from college, are now part of the same “machine” they used to rage against. And what is funny is their it is their kids this article is referring to. You’ll probably see the same thing when you get to be my age. For reference, I was born in 1959.

• Kwon

for the record, i do agree that the current rigid hierarchical structure/s that many of us operate in is suffocating and frequently oppressive (for the reasons you’ve enumerated). i think what i tend to agree with on this article, though, is the disrespect for “seniority” by my “generation.” it may just be my asian upbringing, but i’m used to respecting seniority – not just in terms of age, but also experience. a senior at work or at a field could be “wrong” or “old-fashioned,” but i will appreciate the years and knowledge they’ve put into their work and of the field as a whole. i may not agree with germaine greer, or any second wave feminist for that matter, but i appreciate how they fought for the rights we now enjoy, etc.

honestly, the whole “millennial” thing is something i’ve seen mostly online, though, from peers who are western. calling speakers or activists “irrelevant,” etc. so maybe it is a cultural thing? i wouldn’t be sure about the whole socio-economic thing, because i’ve noticed this seems to be a bit more spread out among the middle class to upper class (ie those with access to the internet, can afford to go to more prestigious universities, etc.).

• Chris

Cool Guy just showed up.

• Kwon

i’m a girl lmao. and somehow having a dissenting opinion makes me “cool”? hmm.

• MackeyDIngo

Boomers are absolutely amazing. In a bad way.

You people went directly from, “dot trust anyone over 30,” to “you damn kids get off my lawn” without a hint of irony.

Boomers are now telling us, “the kids arent alright?” GET OVER YOURSELVES ALREADY! Everybody else hates you.

• Stu Johnson

I guess. Thanks for letting the author of this article, and the angry rich white supremacist power structure, that has oppressed those of us in the working class (yes we still exist) all of our lives, speak for all of us. And now, you hate us, as well as them. Great. I guess I should just now hate everyone. That’ll make the world a better place. Broad brushes never make a painting that tell anywhere near the whole story.

• Wes Raymond

Lol, boomers, nobody cares, you killed the planet.

• metricfan

I graduated with a master’s in 2009, took a 10.25/hr call center job to have health insurance. My wages have been stunted ever since, and I’m riddled with student loan debt. Don’t tell me my generation has had it easy. I did take the very bottom rung position and have worked my way up. I’ll probably never be able to own a home, and my best hope is that my loans are forgiven after 25 years of paying whatever I can. Compare the adjusted wages of the 70’s and student loan debt load to my generation, then tell me that I’m wrong for advocating for career advancement and higher pay. I literally can’t keep working for this little each year. Oh, and rent is through the roof and there is a generation of Baby Boomers who won’t retire and open up jobs for the younger generations.

• Kevin McElroy

Boomers are the worst generation – and if this author wants to make the point that millennials are terrible, it’s just another proof point against boomers!
    Boomers have voted for endless war, more benefits and LOWER taxes. They’re either bad at math or, as this article would suggest, just don’t like their children and grandchildren very much.

• GDS

I only got to the part about eliminating offices in open floor plan work spaces and had to give up. I agree saying “it creates a hierarchy” isn’t strictly correct, at the same time, all of the natural examples given involve animals in the wild, young and green in the same physical space as old and wizened, so… open floor plan. Then, to be blind enough to say “People who don’t know squat are supposed to watch and learn.”… oh really, Im supposed to learn from my elders who are cloistered away in their oaken caves full of leather bound books? The problem with having so many old people in the work place is they complain endlessly and take every change in process or cultureas a personal attack on their comfortable little bubble. Keep up, treat millennials like people(aka respect, listen and hold them accountable), and if you can’t handle that go out in your lawn(in front of your house that cost less than my student loans) and shout “this is a neighborhood” at the cars going 5 mph over the speedlimit while shaking your fist. At least it would be less futile than writing this piece.

• Tommy Grover

I named my kids “Quinoa” and “Kale.” Having organic names makes them natural born hipsters, unlike myself who has to buy $300 threadbare flannel shirts to look like I’m unaffected by materialism and shop at Goodwill.

• President Burp

Millennials talking about being together until they’re 70 as though that’s Old

https://youtu.be/Bs2aMiyT6es

• AgentBaa

Remember s/he is from Philly, one of the most useless uncontributing metro garbage piles on the planet.Bill Burr is right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE

• Sharon The Cat

It’s terrible that tumblrinas let their bullshit infect their real lives.

• Iphigenia

“Millennials don’t respect their elders! Also, they’re too nice to me just because I’m older than them!”

Make up your mind, Sandy!

• blueatticus

Here I was thinking there were facts about failing productivity or maybe reduced profits or even morale. However all I got here was how workplaces are changing and how it ruined the workplace for the author. Not necessarily for the company or for everyone else

• Margaret Pritchard Houston

Oh, please. Go take the affordable housing, job security, and decades-long retirement your generation (once called the “Me” generation …) got to enjoy, and let us Millennials try to clean up the economic and environmental mess you hippies-turned-investment-bankers left us. While working longer hours than you for less money and enjoying every second of being the first generation since the Victorians to be poorer than our parents.

But yeah, maybe we give our kids stupid names. Incidentally, “Trinity” and “Raven” were in the top 1000 most popular girl’s names given in the 1970’s, when boomers were naming their kids.

• http://www.wrrrdnrrrdgrrrl.com Rachel Sharp

I suppose the existence of this article is just nature taking its course. It’s our generation’s turn to try improving the human condition, and your generation’s turn to embody the stereotype of the crabby old person. I know we’ll get our turn on that someday. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it.
    Worth asking, though: If millennials are so oversensitive, why are you the one spending your effort on being offended by them?

• CH Shannon

The piece starts off with the “it’s like a car wreck that I can’t look away from” cliche. Seriously? This person’s a writer and can’t think up a more creative start than that? I’m surprised it also didn’t end with “now get off my lawn!”

• King Harrison

To me the only thing that makes people seem old is complaining about millennials and how good things used to be back in the day. If you don’t like someone, don’t hire them. If that is all there is to hire, learn how to lead and inspire them. If someone expects something unreasonable, teach they why it is unreasonable. It is up to the ‘leaders’ to lead the people in front of them and get it done, not talk about how if the next generation was ‘better’ they could get their job done.

• MavusiKenpachi

Boomers created the millennials

• Getoverit

You sound bitter. Your generation raised Millennials and now you’re questioning why they turned out the way they did? Look in the mirror, old lady. I am a mid to late millennial and i am sick and tired of cleaning up messes left by baby boomers in my office because “it’s not their job” or they “paid their dues”. Get over yourselves. Stop sucking a paycheck and just retire or die off already. Your generation was raised on television, fast food, and TV dinners – why do you think we as a culture are so obsessed with NOW NOW NOW. If you can’t even take a second to look in the mirror and realize why this generation of kids ended up the way they did – then you are what’s wrong. From the generation that brought us peace, love, and understanding, we now have bitter, angry, bigots.

• http://raptr.com/DeathStrikeVirus DeathStrikeVirus

Would this be a West Coast problem? Like San Francisco or Portland? I don’t see this issue as much here on the East Coast.

• Cretanass

She is from the West Coast.Very well-known.That’s why she had to come here.

• oldhickory49

LOL Millennials. Snowflake Nation.

• Chris

Are changes to the American workplace really such an awful thing? I understand you didn’t come up with the changes you listed, so perhaps that’s frightening, but why is it that making the office a nicer place to inhabit (in the form of wood floors, greenery, even nap rooms, though I’ve not actually seen one of those outside of the most eccentric Silicon Vally start ups) is met with so much derision?

Your generation (and the generation after you) taunt us how utterly soul sucking life in an American office could be. Why are you scoffing now that my generation is leading some incredibly minor efforts to make it more pleasant?

My office has some of the things you listed (open space, wood floors, greenery, a shuffle board table, snacks, beer) and guess what? People really enjoy being there. Even the Gen Xers and the Boomers. Also, we’re a productive, growing company.

So really, why the hate here?

• Jay Blanc

The youngsters today are singing about Loving someone till they’re 70? Bah humbug I say! In my day we loved someone till they were 64, AND NOT A YEAR FURTHER!

• Kielin

This article contains quite a bit of phrasing that does nothing to inspire confidence in the author as a reliable source. She admits to several times to not needing to do any further research, so it is hard to consider her insight as being valid, which is sad, seeing as how she’s supposed to be a senior editor. If you want to make it seem like you’re not just complaining, then represent yourself better.

• Promit Roy

Funny, The Onion wrote an article about you Sandy:
    Word ‘Millennials’ Forced Into Headline To Boost Pageviews http://www.theonion.com/article/word-millennials-forced-headline-boost-pageviews-50880

Joke’s on you, though, because millenials also have ad blocking.

Boomers destroyed the economy, and the environment. They created institutional racism and homophobia. And now it’s millenials’ fault for trying to fix it all, while preserving social security, supporting universal health care, and generally propping you up. And what have YOU contributed, Sandy Hingston? You write clickbait for a magazine in the red and trashy romance novels on the side.

Drop me a message if you want to talk to millenials who are doing something worthwhile. New Yorker and National Geographic did.

• ArsVampyre

Are you on drugs? They created ‘institutional racism and homophobia’?

This is one of the problems with covering up history. They took down the confederate battle flag and covered it up, and now you already forget that racism existed LONG before boomers grandparents existed. You think homophobia is some recent phenomena rather than an ancient and pervasive prospective.

Look, I don’t think all millennials, or even most, are as ignorant as you evidently are. Boomers have a lot to take the blame for. Racism, sexism, etc? No. Those are problems that existed long before they were born, and will be here long after you die. They’re part of the human condition; artifacts of our tribalism that will never fully go away, just wax and wane with the tides of knowledge.

• Boomer Wadaska

My boomer parents named me Boomer and I turned out OK.

• Max Palmer

“Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation”- found at the top of this comments forum

Replace ‘online community’ with ‘others’ and tell that to Sandy Hingston. We get it; you’re old and mad that my generation is about to take over. I’ll probably feel the same way when I’m her(?) age, I just won’t convince myself that anyone else wants to hear me complain about it.

• FL

some millenials might read this article in it’s entirety, few will understand any of it

the distance that separates us from them is far greater than that of gen X from boomers

one of my philosophy teachers would say they are shouting their ego instead of building it, and that their sense of politics is developped through events, sometimes minor ones, leaving philosophers and ideologies in an absolute state of neglect

we grew up with books, facing alone authors of different centuries and different landscapes, and only being able to discuss that experience with few around us

they grew up with a shared access to the most recent posts and blogs and “discussing” those through social comments with people they’ll probably never meet

i deeply deeply feel sorry for them

• Tech Bubblegum

It’s actually more efficient to just let you decompose naturally.

• Ma. Cheffrey Imutan

But question is, why are adults so obsessed in violently pushing “I’ve-got-more-experience-so-just-shut-up-and-do-what-I-say” down the youth’s throats?
    Since when did your way become the only way? And isn’t it possible that your solutions don’t always apply to the current problems?

• groupthinker1984

“Why would anyone hang a 50-ton albatross like Astral Defiance around his own child’s neck?”

Because Time apparently wants to paint Millenials as the new hippies so they went and found a weird Millenial couple. Its like the mistake you’re making but the opposite direction.

Weird names like this are nothing new. Really the only thing new about Millenials is the amount of their lives they’ve spend with the internet. And I know enough of them (myself only being a few years out from them) to know that it hasn’t affected them that much. Anything else can be chalked up to them being young. And yes they’re young a little bit longer than Boomers were. But each generation has been young a little longer than the last at least since WW2.

If there’s anything I’ve learned from my own generation, which was similarly under fire for not growing up that fast, its that when life finally catches up, we do grow up.

And so will these Millenials. As did you Boomers.

The only person I know who’s chosen a weird name for her kids was a Gen Xer like myself. Weird names happen.

“There’s an Ed Sheeran song lots of millennials are using for the first dance at their weddings. It’s a lovely song, except for this one line: “Darling, I will be loving you till we’re seventy.” Seventy! Seventy is the outside limit of the youthful imagination when it comes to age. Never mind that the average American now lives to be many years older than that — years, I suppose, that are loveless and forlorn. Fifty, 60, 70 — it’s all the same, it’s old, it’s decrepit, it’s stupid, it has nothing to say or do that’s relevant.”

Really? They’re in their 20’s. Believing their love will last most of five decades is pretty optimistic. Surely that must be long odds even by Boomer standards. And I guarantee you, they imagine themselves living past that.

“In fact, they’re too polite;”

Ok that made me laugh. When was the last time an older generation had THAT complaint about a younger one? Its kind of funny and eerie at the same time. And yeah the hypersensitivity is new. Its the tradeoff. I’m still not sure how I feel about that but I suspect they’ll have to grow out of it eventually.

• Bozley

Boomers.. Millenials.. Gen Xers.. Whatever. Sounds like no generation has a shortage of blowhards trying to put things in nutshells. Keep at it, plebs.

• MechaSlinky

I think what the writer of this article and everyone in these comments is missing is that it doesn’t matter what generation you belong you, you’re all people, and people are garbage.

• old timer

I’m proud to have 2 millenials that have been better than me from day 1.

• Lord_of_Lotion
  • Kat

This could be written by a text generator. How are people still getting paid for such immensely lame articles? It’s cool to see that yelling at kids from your lawn has evolved with the times.

• Kelleyc416

You’re an ass. You went straight for all the stereotypes. And go out of your way to date yourself! I’m 25 and I don’t plan to have children for years, but I like names like Lawrence, Vivienne, Iris. Classic names. I think it’s dumb when people name their kids after Instagram filters. Yet they have a right to.

I don’t want a nap room at work, or craft beer in the break room, I want a job teaching college where I can get health insurance and a living wage.

You know, maybe your intern was asking you about the newspaper because she wanted to share and read a section? Or is that too much for her to ask, since she hasn’t gone through the proper hazing rituals. Should she buy you a latte first?

Also, I read proper literary journals like Poetry magazine, Ploughshares, ect, but shouldn’t you BE GLAD THAT YOUNG PEOPLE LIKE TO READ? So what if Zooey D. pushes some weird app. Many of us still read novels, poetry volumes, short stories.

God, I’m tired of boomers like you. My parents taught me the value of hard work, and I respect them more than anyone I know.

You, on the other hand, need to stop thinking of us as children and get on with your life. Don’t you have better things to do than judge?

• Gus Echon

I absolutely abhor generational labeling. Who invented such nonsense? Surely, it can’t be rooted in any sort of hard sociological study. That being said, why do we allow such divisions? Why is such nonsense proliferated throughout media and print? How does broad speculation about time and group serve to remedy our current struggles in our nation? For the sake of clarity, I reluctantly will use those labels. The heart of this generational squabble lies, i believe, in the current cost of living – and a living wage – which remains more skewed than ever! The jobs that millenials’ (and latter-day Gen-X) parents paid off their mortgage with, now, barely pays the rent for many young people. 40 years of failed public policy, corporate greed, and their inevitable consequences have been left at the feet of another generation(s). The “baby boomer” generation that followed WWII was left with the golden egg straight from the goose. The “greatest generation” left you with unlimited opportunity and a newly crowned world power in the United Ststes

• rg

A beard does not a grown man make.

• MattMatty

Hey! You there! GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

• Scott

http://www.quickmeme.com/Scumbag-Baby-Boomers/page/1/ Sums up the situation adequately. Baby boomers are entitled, unhealthy, greedy, pursue profits and personal well-being over the collective good, are responsible for the vast majority of affordable food options to be low-quality, destroying the environment, sending jobs overseas, wrecking the economy by turning the housing sector into a casino, staying in the workforce as a result of all of this because of bad health, heart conditions, bad investments, and no savings/home keeping our generation out of the workforce. Baby Boomers aren’t only ruining the workforce, but also the economy, the environment, and public well-being. The reason rent is so high is because home-ownership is low driving up demand (a result of Baby Boomers’ actions). It’s easy to see this when you realize Baby Boomers have run things in this country for decades now and look at what things were like before and after, whereas Millenials are just now getting to an age where we can influence anything. Not to mention Baby Boomers raised us, so any criticisms of our generation really are the product of the Baby Boomer generation. Your parents were the Greatest generation. You are the Worst generation. Get out of the workforce, die, and let us fix your mess.