Hidden City Philadelphia has compiled a sad list of gorgeous old churches, abandoned factories, and 19th century homes that were demolished this year. Lowlights include the Frankford Central United Methodist Church and the Frankford Arsenal, which “may be the greatest wholesale loss of historic buildings since nine blocks around Independence Hall were torn down to create Independence Mall in the 1950s.” Hidden City isn’t just mourning; it also calls out developers like Bart Blatstein for letting some of these abandoned properties–which he owns–go to waste. [Hidden City Philadelphia]
- Articles: Ajay Raju Profile: The Big Raju
- News: NYT Columnist Challenges Comcast Merger
- News: Boyd Theater’s Fate May (Finally! Really!) Be Decided Today
- News: Family Court Building to Become Luxury Hotel
- Foobooz: WANTED: Chef for Standout Graduate Hospital Development
- News: Can Someone Please Help James Dupree?
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.