WEEKEND ROUNDUP: Jinkx Monsoon Returns to Philly in ‘The Vaudevillians’
WEEKEND SPOTLIGHT: RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 5 winner Jinx Monsoon returns to Philly with her camp-tastic NYC stage hit The Vaudevillians. Just extended in the Big Apple, the show follows a couple (Monsoon and piano player Richard Andriessen) from the early-1900s who were frozen in time, but come back to the present to sing songs they wrote at the turn of the century — songs they are surprised to learn were stolen from them and turned into modern-day hits like “I Will Survive” and tunes by DJ Kool and Lady Gaga. This is a New York Times-approved must-do if you can still get your hands on tickets. Before going, get re-acquainted with Miss Monsoon via the Q&A we did with her after winning Drag Race, and see this video of her performing her famous mambo number at Voyeur in April. Fri., Aug., 23, 9 p.m., $20-$40, Voyeur Nightclub, 1221 Saint James St., click here for tickets.
- City of Brotherly Love Softball League’s Fall Ball kicks off with a meet-and-greet at Tabu
- Tyra’s BFF Cory Wade Hindorff hosts an America’s Next Top Model viewing party — also at Tabu
- Brittany Lynn sure has been performing in AC a lot lately. Tonight she and her Drag Mafia perform at the Rainbow Room
- This is the last weekend of Mauckingbird’s gender-twisted take on The Importance of Being Earnest
- Check out what’s playing during this last weekend of GayFest
- Toot, toot and beep, beep at Trestle Inn’s weekly disco party, Summer of Summer
- Unleash your inner party monster at Voyeur’s BLOODFEAST. Rawr!
- Mercedes Monroe Cassadine and other drag queens host brunch at Venture Inn
- PhillyGayCalendar and Sisters host a Big Gay Boat Party on the Moshulu
Have an event you’d like featured on G Philly? Send details to firstname.lastname@example.org.