Garrett Reid Had Steroids in Room When He Overdosed
When unused syringes and needles were found in the Lehigh University dorm room in which Andy Reid’s 29 year-old son overdosed on heroin in August, it seemed like a good bet that they were simply more of his recreational drug paraphernalia. Today, however, the Northampton County DA cast doubt on that theory, breaking the news that Reid had 19 vials of steroids in his room, along with the syringes and needles. As Kyle Scott suggested on Crossing Broad, the revelations raise questions about whether Reid–who was volunteering as a strength and conditioning coach for the Eagles–was supplying to players. [Daily News]
UPDATE 4:45 PM
Birds 24/7 reports that the NFL will follow-up on the steroids charges “as appropriate,” though there is no evidence that Garrett Reid was supplying the drugs to Eagles players.
The four types of steroids found in Garrett Reid’s room – testosterone propionate, boldenone undecylenate, nandrolone phenyl propionate, trembolone acetate — are all tested for year-round by the NFL. A league source confirmed that no Eagles player has been suspended for violating the NFL’s policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.
Andy Reid also included this statement Monday afternoon:
As you all know, my son Garrett battled addiction for many years. While there were some victories along the way, it ultimately was a battle that he lost and that cost him his life. Our family feels the pain of that loss every day.
Today’s report saddens me greatly, but only confirms the troubles Garrett encountered in the final years of his life. As parents, we were encouraged by his apparent progress but, like many addicts, he was able to conceal the signs of relapse.