Fitadelphia: Celebrity-Chef Diet: Healthy Recipes
Solomonov’s Mushroom and Barley Soup
1⁄2 c. thinly sliced Spanish onion
6 garlic cloves, peeled and slivered
1 c. crimini mushrooms, cleaned and halved
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. ground fenugreek
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1 cinnamon stick
Kosher salt, to taste
1 tsp. harissa paste
1⁄2 c. peeled and diced sweet potato
1 c. uncooked barley, soaked in cold water 12 hours
1⁄2 c. chopped cilantro
1⁄2 c. chopped dill
1. In a medium pot over medium-low heat, sweat onions, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil, until vegetables have become translucent, about 15 minutes.
2. Add dry spices and a touch of salt.
3. Turn up heat to medium; continue to cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables have caramelized, about 15 minutes more, then stir in harissa.
4. Add sweet potatoes and barley. Gently stir to combine. Season with more salt to taste.
5. Add 3 quarts water to pot and bring to a boil, skimming off the shmootz that floats to the top.
6. Cover and cook on low heat about 1 hour, or until barley is tender (but not mushy).
7. Add cilantro and dill, and adjust seasoning if necessary.