Web Original: Recipe: Ginger Peach Cobbler
The best way to save some calories at any holiday is to BYOD, bring your own dessert. Not only can you make it healthy, but you will look like an awesome guest! Try out this awesome Ginger Pear Cobbler, packed with fresh fruit and spices. At about 160 calories with 5 grams of fat per serving, it will satisfy your sweet tooth without going overboard!
4 cups fresh pears, peeled and sliced into ½” wedges
2 – 4 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons minced candied ginger
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 Tablespoon sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced into ½” cubes and chilled
1/2 cup low- fat buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss the fruit with the next six ingredients (through candied ginger); spread the mixture in a non-stick 8 inch square pan and let stand for 20 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar.
3. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until butter is well distributed into broken walnut size pieces. Use your fingers to flatten any larger pieces of butter. Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
4. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough over the fruit, leaving gaps in between. Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle mixture over the dough.
5. Bake cobbler until fruit is tender and topping is golden, 35 – 40 minutes. Cool 15 minutes, and serve warm with low fat frozen vanilla yogurt.
Recipe courtesy of Christina Dimacali of Clean Your Plate Personal Chef Service