Shakeup Up at R2L Figures to Benefit Devil’s Den
R2L’s chef de cuisine Alex Urena has left the restaurant before it even opened and landed at Devil’s Den in South Philadelphia. Urena has an impressive resume and was the chef-owner of the well regarded Pamplona in New York.
No word on why Urena left R2L before the official opening but the move to Devil’s Den figures to bolster what has been Devil’s Den’s biggest weakness, it’s food.
A representative for Devil’s Den passed along these accolades for Chef Urena:
- 2000 James Beard nominee for â€œBest new Restaurant: Blue Hillâ€
- 2001 Gold medal winner, Culinary Excellence, American Tasting Institute
- 2006 Rising Star Chef Award
- 2006 Emerging Tastemaker Award, Food Arts Magazine
- 2007 Recipes published in Art Culinaire
- 2009 Recipes published in â€œNew York Cooks: 100 recipes from the Cityâ€™s best Chefsâ€
Update: Michael Klein has some more details about the shakeup.