City Offers New Info (And Pope Stickers!) To Philly Businesses
In an effort to make sure businesses don’t flee when an estimated 1 million to 1.5 million people descend on Philly for the Pope visit, the City of Philadelphia has launched it’s “I’ll Be There” campaign.
Here’s five things we learned:
1. The city is handing out packages to businesses. They include:
- A “Welcome Pope Francis” poster.
- A World Meeting of Families “window cling” placard.
- Three “I’ll Be There” buttons.
- A packet of information with a letter from Mayor Michael Nutter and World meeting of Families President Robert Ciaruffoli encouraging businesses to remain open during the event.
2. The Business Resource Center has fielded 300 calls so far.
At a press conference at the Wawa at 17th and Arch Streets in Center City on Monday, Nutter said that the city’s new business resources center (which opened two weeks ago) has fielded calls from “nearly 300 businesses, almost all of whom had their questions answered right on the first call.”
3. Highlights from the Nutter/Ciafuffoli letter to local businesses:
- “It’s a once-in-a-lifetime event, and a few inconveniences will be worth the experiences to meet people and families from around the world…”
- “This is not business as usual. It’s business as opportunity — opportunity to participate, host, grow and prosper.”
- “The eyes of the world will be focused on Philadelphia, and we have an opportunity — all of us — to shine.”
- “Philadelphia is committed to supporting businesses like yours during this moment in history.”
- “We are working diligently with our partners to make transportation easier and more accessible.”
4. Win a Trip to Rome.
In an effort to increase the visibility of the “I’ll Be There” campaign, the city is offering a free trip for two to Rome. To enter, hangs the Pope poster or flyer to a business window or front door, snap a photo then upload it to Instagram or Twitter using the hashtags #OpenInPHL and #RomeContest.
5. Where to get #OpenInPHL Kits
- 30th Street Station
- African-American Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Philadelphia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Independence Visitor Center
- Philadelphia International Airport
- Pennsylvania Convention Center
- Reading Terminal Market