Observations: Eagles 34, Giants 26
Here’s what we saw during today’s Eagles-Giants game.
* The offense consistently moved the football, totaling 426 yards against the Giants. Mark Sanchez made his share of mistakes, but finished 23-for-36 for 292 yards, two touchdowns and an interception. He was sacked four times.
* On the Eagles’ first possession, they needed just three plays to go 80 yards. Sanchez found Jordan Matthews for a 44-yard touchdown. The Giants missed a tackle on the play, and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie made no effort to get off of Jeremy Maclin’s block.
* The Eagles benefited from an awfully questionable pass interference call on the second drive. It looked like a sure Sanchez interception, but Riley Cooper came back for the ball and drew the flag. That set up a 1-yard pass from Sanchez to Brent Celek.
* In the second, Sanchez looked for Zach Ertz downfield, but was intercepted. On the final possession of the first half, he nearly threw a pick-six, but the Giants’ defender dropped the ball in the end zone. In the second half, on third down, he had Josh Huff wide open on a deep post, but missed him.
* LeSean McCoy ran 17 times for 99 yards, but he suffered a left knee injury in the fourth quarter. McCoy’s 21-yard run helped set up a 1-yard TD run by Chris Polk in the fourth.
* Matthews led the Eagles with eight catches for 105 yards. Ertz had four for 56. And Maclin added three for 49.
* Chip Kelly was not in a gambling mood. Twice in the first half, the Eagles faced a 4th-and-5 or less from midfield or in Giants territory. On both occasions, they punted.
* The Eagles gave up plenty of big plays, but did enough at the end to secure a victory. Eli Manning went 28-for-53 for 429 yards, a touchdowns and an interception. Odell Beckham Jr. had 12 grabs for 185 yards on 21 targets. Rueben Randle added six catches for 158 yards.
* With the Giants down eight points late in the fourth quarter, Manning looked for a deep ball down the left sideline, but it hung in the air, and Nate Allen came up with the interception to put the game away.
* The Giants ran the ball 25 times for 76 yards (3.0 YPC).
* Nolan Carroll II got the start for Bradley Fletcher. On the first possession, Manning found Randle for a 43-yard completion. Both Carroll and Allen were in the vicinity, but neither made a play on the ball. Carroll then got beaten on an 18-yard slant on the same drive.
* Cary Williams shadowed Beckham at times. On New York’s third drive, he gave up a 22-yard completion to Beckham. Carroll had a nice pass breakup vs. the tight end on third down to force a field goal.
* The Eagles missed opportunities for multiple interceptions in the first half. Brandon Boykin had one go through his fingers. Malcolm Jenkins failed to finish on a deep ball. And Williams dropped the easiest one in the corner of the end zone.
* Boykin played really well overall. He was on Beckham in the red zone and forced an incompletion on third down. Later, he threw Beckham to the ground on a screen. And he had another pass breakup in the fourth.
* Jaylen Watkins had some good and bad. He slipped and gave up a 63-yard touchdown to Beckham. Jenkins took a bad angle on the play and couldn’t change direction in time. But Watkins also made a nice play by the sideline to break up a pass to Beckham in the second half.
* Jenkins put a big hit on Beckham in the second half. Beckham didn’t like it and threw his helmet off, but there was no flag on the play. Jenkins had a couple nice pass breakups in the second half.
* The Eagles did not have a sack. Connor Barwin had two QB hits. Casey Matthews added another.
* James Casey blocked a punt in the second half, and Trey Burton returned it for a touchdown.
* The Eagles finish at 10-6, in second place in the NFC East and out of the playoffs.