The Cheat Sheet: Brunch at Kraftwork
It’s so easy to overdo it at brunch. Think about it: It’s not the kind of meal you eat everyday, so when you do, your brain sits there and hollers, “Pancakes! French toast! Extra syrup! Splurge, splurge, splurge!”
Can I get an amen?
Here’s the good news: I studied the menu at Kraftwork in Fishtown and found a lot of really enticing items that’ll feel like a splurge—minus all that post-meal-calorie regret. If I were brunching at Kraftwork, here’s what I’d order.
• Kraftwork Breakfast >> Keep it simple with toast and eggs. Since you have options here with the sides, go for a mixed green salad, multigrain wheat bread and turkey bacon. Skip the hash.
• Huevos rancheros served with red beans, salsa verde, pico de gallo, queso fresco, and a corn tortilla, and a choice of potato hash or mixed green salad>> A more filling option, for sure, but keep the calories down by opting for only one egg and go light on the beans and cheese. Choose a side salad instead of hash.
• Kraftwork omelet >> First tip: ask for egg whites (you won’t miss those yellows a bit). Then, either skip the cheese or ask them to go light, and load up on all the veggies they have to offer: spinach, tomato, wild mushrooms, caramelized onion, red peppers, broccoli.
• Morning Honey, house-made granola with fresh fruit, Greek yogurt and raw honey >> Ask for the granola and honey on the side so you can control the portions.
• Curried Tofu Scramble >> You can’t go wrong with tofu, peppers, onions, broccoli, and cilantro. Just get the salad instead of hash. (I feel like a broken record here.)
• Wild mushroom baguette with seasonal mushrooms, sautéed greens, roasted red peppers and shaved parmesan >> If you’re in the mood for lunch rather than breakfast, this mushroom sandwich is a flavorful choice. Add chicken if you wish but skip the fries and opt for a salad.
Have a Philly restaurant you’d like to see featured in the Cheat Sheet? Let us know in the comments!
Restaurant menus are reviewed by Phillies dietitian and owner of Healthy Bites Katie Cavuto Boyle. In most cases, the individual restaurants were contacted for specific ingredient and recipe information. Note: Many restaurants have seasonal menus and some items may not be available.