10 Most Sugary Cereals
My husband has a funny little anecdote about how, when he was little, his mom would allow him and his brothers one bowl of “sweet” cereal a day—for dessert only. But the thing is, the sweet cereal of choice in his house was usually Honey Nut Cheerios, a relatively benign one on the scale of Lucky Charms to Cocoa Puffs.
But I guess his mom was right to be wary of sugar-loaded cereals; turns out, some are more than 50 percent sugar. The DC-based Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit research and advocacy group that looks at environmental and public health issues, made a list of the cereals that contain the most sugar by weight. Let me tell you: It ain’t pretty. I even found one on there that I absolutely love. Sigh. Good thing it’s an occasional indulgence.
Here are the cereals that take the, um, cake.
1. Kellogg’s Honey Smacks: 55.6 percent sugar
2. Post Golden Crisp: 51.9 percent sugar
3. Kellogg’s Froot Loops Marshmallows: 48.3 percent sugar
4. Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch’s OOPS! All Berries: 46.9 percent sugar
5. Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch Original: 44.4 percent sugar
6. Quaker Oats Oh!s: 44.4 percent sugar (Gah! I love these!)
7. Kellogg’s Smorz: 43.3 percent sugar
8. Kellogg’s Apple Jacks: 42.9 percent sugar
9. Quaker Oats Cap’n Crunch’s Crunch Berries: 42.3 percent sugar
10. Kellogg’s Froot Loops Original: 41.4 percent sugar
Read the full report here.