You’re probably going to want to avoid the Northeast Extension today. A massive sinkhole opened up on the southbound side where the Turnpike crosses North Wales Road (mile marker 24.8) just as the morning commute was heating up. It’s reportedly four feet wide and four feet across. Crews are on the scene working to repair the road in time for the afternoon rush hour. For now, though, it caused at least an eight-mile backup. [6 ABC]
- News: I-95 Cottman Avenue Traffic Tangle Finally Over?
- News: 3 Reasons Traveling in the Philly Region Is About to Hurt
- News: I-495 Bridge Closed Indefinitely
- News: Nearly a Thousand Pedestrians Killed in Philly from 2003 to 2012
- News: WATCH: Scranton Residents Turn Potholes into Art
- News: Fire Stalling Philly-Bound Traffic on Ben Franklin Bridge
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.