Our discerning editors have culled the best-of-the-best gifts available in Philly. Each day until Christmas, we’ll unveil our 25 top gift picks to suit everyone on your list. Happy shopping!
Instead of gifting Mom another sweater this year, opt for an on-trend cape like this stunner from Old City’s Third Street Habit. Its roomy fit and funnel neck provide all the coziness of her favorite knit but its structured shape gives it a sophisticated Olivia Pope-esque vibe. Tip: Take advantage of the boutique’s complimentary gift wrapping and you’ve got the perfect present.
Click here for price and where to buy.
Looks pretty good, right? | Photo by Shutterstock.
After all that holiday shopping, it’s time to do a little indulging for yourself. Here, five luxurious holiday beauty treatments that pack in all the scents of the season, from chocolate and peppermint to frankincense and sweet orange. Bonus: They all ring in under $100, so if there’s someone on your gift list that’s leaving you stumped, buy them a gift card for one of these sweet services.
To read about all five services, click here.
- It’s hard to believe Christmas is a week away. Get your gifts delivered on time with this handy breakdown of shipping deadlines from places like Amazon, UPS, FedEx. [Lucky]
- Metallic hair color is officially a thing. Now, if only they could figure out a way to make permanent metallic tattoos… [Style.com]
- This is what it looks like when you dress Coca-Cola Santa in Kenzo and Alexander Wang. Quilted sweatshirt and a beanie, anyone? [Fast Company]
Up Next: What Dr. Dre has to do with Hanukkah and a surprising look from Kate Middleton.
Like wearing red and green or a fair isle sweater, a festive manicure sends a message to the world that you are majorly psyched about holidays—like a female version of Buddy the Elf, or Clark Griswold, the traditional beacons of holiday festivity. Head to one of these Philly spas and salons (Rescue Spa, Lacquer Lounge, Polish Nail Lounge, and Mi Cumbia) and embrace the season with everything from understated emerald polish to a sparkling snowflake to a meticulous beaded Christmas tree. But hurry: Christmas is officially one week away.
Manis galore ahead!
- Avoid the tricky guesswork of determining sizes by stocking up on one-size-fits-all gifts like clutches, earrings and headphones. Here, 23 ideas to get you started. [Pop Sugar]
- Vivienne Westwood, Karl Lagerfeld and Heidi Klum have all made (ahem, designed) Build-A-Bears for Operation Bobbi Bear, a South African charity that protects sexually abused children. We assume they’re infinitely better than anything we made at the mall. [Vanity Fair]
- Talk about tried and true: These are the top-selling mascaras from big brands like Clinique, Dior and MAC. [The Zoe Report]
Up Next: Hanukkah-inspired beauty products and 50 Cent’s sales pitch.
Cheers to you, city shoppers. | Photo by Evan Sung.
Center City shoppers are in for a treat—literally. From now until December 31st, shoppers who make any purchase at Knit Wit, Ellelauri or Aoki Boutique will be able to get a complimentary cup of salted caramel hot chocolate at the Shake Shack in Center City (20th and Sansom Street) with proof of purchase. We haven’t been this psyched about a pairing in a while.
Click here for more info!
Jewelry designers are finally maximizing earring real estate with the advent of double-sided earrings. Rather than fastening your earring with clunky metal backs, or worse, the well-intentioned plastic variety, utilize both ends of the post with backs that create streamlined shapes or an unexpected profile. The best part? Most double-sided earrings give the illusion of being simple studs, so it’s a subtle way of adding some extra sparkle or hardware.
Price and store details ahead!
Our discerning editors have culled the best-of-the-best gifts available in Philly. Each day until Christmas, we’ve reveal our 25 top gift picks to suit everyone on your list. Happy shopping!
Several go-to guys gifts fall under the slightly more formal category (like ties and cufflinks), but if you know your intended giftee is of the less buttoned-up variety, we suggest going casual. Enter: Duke & Winston‘s Modern Gents Box. It includes an In Duke We Trust Hat, a Casual Gentleman Tee, a Embroidery Hoodie and a Horween Leather Card Wallet. Plus, it’s a deal; the box usually retails for $182 and it comes wrapped. Done, and done.
Click here to find out where to buy it.
- Come holiday shopping season time, some of those store credit cards can look mighty tempting. Here’s a roundup of the best and worst store credit cards on the market. [Racked]
- The best indicator of jeans’ elasticity? If four very flexible professional dancers can wear them—while dancing. [Elle]
- American Apparel’s Dov Charney has been fired again. Yes, again. [Gawker]
Keep reading for more fashion and beauty news.
While perusing the interwebs for standout gift wrap for an upcoming post (keep an eye out!), I stumbled across this glorious Philly-centric paper from Paper Source. Ultimately, I decided its vintage-inspired color scheme and regional charm warranted its own space in Shoppist’s blogroll. Printed to include most of downtown, the only folks that miss out are true West Philadelphians—sorry, gang.
We’d pair the sepia-toned wrap with some understated baker’s twine and a complementary gift tag for a present that shows Philly pride while still looking perfectly Martha Stewart-esque. The best part? You can pick up a roll right in Center City. (We checked.)
Keep reading to find out where to buy it.