Tie the Knot Tuesday: Em Sov and Kat Nguyen
Every Tuesday, we are featuring a Philadelphia-area gay or lesbian couple who have walked down the aisle in their own special way. Today, we feature Em Sov and Kat Nguyen, a couple from West Chester, Pennsylvania who said “I do” twice: Once in California, and once in Pennsylvania.
Names: Kat Nguyen and Em Sov
How long have you been together as a couple before you got married?: 4.5 Years
When did you get married?: February 18, 2014
Describe the experience of your wedding. Where did you get married? Who was there? What was the most memorable part?: We officially got married in Beverly Hills, California, while we were on the West Coast for a family’s wedding before it was legal in Pennsylvania. We shrugged our shoulders and said, “Why not while we’re here?” We went to the courthouse to do the paperwork and found a officiant that same day since our flight back to Philly was the next morning. We held a beautiful wedding ceremony five months later on July 12, 2014 in Philadelphia with our closest family and friends, excluding our parents because they don’t agree with our lifestyle. We had a few of our friends help us out with the wedding, like the photography, wedding cake, MC-ing, and stand-in officiant to lead the ceremony. The most memorable part was exchanging our personal vows surrounded by our loved ones who support and accept us for who we are. Everyone kept on saying the word “finally” and they were right. It was finally our time.
Were there any local businesses that were helpful when you prepared your wedding?:
- Stephanie Varela of Sweet Shots Photography (215-908-8659) was our photographer on our wedding day and is a member of the LGBTQ community.
- Maggie Lee is also a member of the LGBTQ community and was our photographer for our engagement photos. She has also shot for Stimulus events.
- Moa Sanaikone of Seng’s Salon (2352 S 7th St, 215-389-9641) did a fantastic job styling the bridal party’s hair.
- Our ceremony and reception was held at Tai Lake Restaurant, which as the best food in Chinatown.
- Our wedding decorations were done by Anh Dep Studio and they totally transformed Tai Lake.
Want to be featured in a future Tie-the-Knot Tuesday? If you’re a gay or lesbian couple married in Pennsylvania, we want to hear from you. Take our brief surve here.