WEEKEND ROUNDUP: Boys of Summer, The Story of Love and Equality, BlackStar Film Festival and More
Marriage Equality remains a controversial topic for folks on both sides of the issue. Because the battle is so heated, people rarely take time to actually hear arguments from the other side. Filmmaker set out, along with her girlfriend, to open a dialogue between both parties in this political and social war. The result? .
The documentary will be playing at the National Liberty Museum today (Friday, August 1st.) There will be a reception at 5:30 p.m., with the film beginning at 6:30 p.m. Roth will be attendance to lead a Q&A discussion after the viewing.
This issue remains at the forefront of queer politics, and staying informed on both sides of the issue is more important than ever. It can be hard to stomach the arguments against marriage equality, but in order to combat our enemies we must know what they’re doing, and fortunately or unfortunately, we must work together to move toward total equality. Friday, August 1, 5:30 p.m., $15 (suggested donation), National Liberty Museum, 321 Chestnut Street.
- Boys of Summer 2014 kicks off with, what else, a sure-to-be-Speedo-clad
- Tabu is serving bear-realness in its latest installment of .
- We “Can’t Hardly Wait” for Venture Inn’s upcoming dance party, with its ’90s nostalgia, music, and candy.
- Things are hot and cold at —the beers are cool, and the bears are oh-so-steamy.
- The August edition of Cutn Paste is a tribute to the queens of hip-hop.
- Get down with the Boys of Summer at the / car wash. Bonus: All the local sports teams have been invited to show their team spirit. Hot jock alert!
- Later in the evening Voyeur will be crawling with nearly naked dudes at the . Look out for hunky guests like pop artist and Philly choreographer .
- features, highlights, and honors people of African descent. Be sure to catch this weekend’s films featuring queer men of color, like Cakes Da Killa: No Homo, playing during the “ ” program; and Trans Lives Matter, a part of the “ .”
- Don’t miss Liberty City Kings Drag & Burlesque’s kinky cabaret .
- The Phreak N Queer Festival continues with A New Queer Hope, a music and performance-art party at MilkBoy.
- Feeling low on Pride? Head on over to , which will honor the 45th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots.
- at Woody’s and help increase awareness and funds for marriage equality across the country.
- Prepare to get sweaty and dirty at the Philadelphia . (I’m getting sweaty just thinking about it.)
- You’ve got two options for brunch today: the culminates this year’s PNQ festival.
- And, if you haven’t gotten the Boys of Summer (BOS) out of your system yet, there will be a BOS on Icandy’s third floor Tiki Deck.
Anthem of the Weekend: