WEEKEND ROUNDUP: GLAAD Media Award-Winning Film ‘Musical Chairs’ Screening at Kimmel
Musical Chairs will be played in the Kimmel Center this weekend — but I’m not talking about that scary old party game where you get knocked out of a chair by someone with a bigger butt than you. I’m talking about the film Musical Chairs, which concerns two New Yorkers named Mia and Armando who fall in love through ballroom dancing. But when an accident leaves Mia paralyzed from her waist down, the two must learn to continue their passion for dancing in wheelchairs.
The film has won praise for its empowering message to the disabled community, and it scored a GLAAD Media Award for its portrayal of a transgender dancer, played by Orange is the New Black actress Laverne Cox. Before viewers see the flick, they will be treated to a screening of Modify to Fit, a short film by Patrick Murphy that follows a female amputee who works with the Crossroads Adaptive Athletic Alliance (CAAA).
All proceeds (that’s right, 100 percent) will be distributed to CAAA and the Mayor’s Commission on People with Disabilities, which provides scholarships to disabled students in Philadelphia. Sat., Sept. 21, 7 p.m., $50-$75 (includes after party), Kimmel Center, 300 S. Broad St. For tickets, call 215-893-1999, or visit kimmelcenter.org.
- Philly burlesque performers are coming out for A Very OMG Birthday and Virgo Extravaganza
- Cleo Phatra’s going to EAT IT again at Tabu
- Lady Poison performs at Fame Lust’s Cruel Intentions-themed dance party at Barbarella (pictured, above)
- Levitate Philly with DJ Jessy and DJ venus 7
- Get casual, make friends and build some community at William Way’s Exchange Loft
- Fight gender conformity at the Gender Reel Film Festival, and check out other LGBT Fringe offerings
- Eighties pop diva Cece Peniston is performing at Pro Bar in AC
- Tape your mouth, and strike your best pose for the NOH8 Campaign open photo shoot in Philadelphia
- Behind Bars: a Miscast Cabaret challenges all the musical traditions by having the characters sings songs you’d never expect
- Get haunted and wowed by “Six Feet (Above and) Under: A Graveyard Cabaret”
- Go on a Qventure to learn more about the art of spying and espionage (pictured, above)
- Councilmen Jim Kenney and Mark Squilla host a fundraiser for the Philadelphia Fire Fighters Survivor Fund at Woody’s
- All aboard the Spirit of Philadelphia for the 2nd Annual Sunday Brunch Cruise
- Or how about a Gospel Brunch with the Goddess Isis? (pictured, above)
- Learn more about the beauty of Philadelphia’s outstanding collection of fountains on this walk led by William Way
- The Pet Shop Boys perform at The Mann Center for the Performing Arts
- RuPauls’ Drag Race Season 1 alum will be performing, and meeting and greeting at Venture Inn
Have an event you’d like featured on G Philly? Send details to email@example.com.