Weekend Roundup: Winter Pride Skating and After Parties
G Philly’s weekly roundup of what’s happening this weekend. I hope you’re feeling extra proud this weekend, because …
- The Gayborhood’s all abuzz this weekend about the first-ever Winter Pride. The chilly shebang kicks off at the Blue Cross RiverRink with two hours of skating, a meet-and-greet with Olympic skater Johnny Weir and a live performance by the Philadelphia Freedom Band. Happy Pride! 6 p.m.-8 p.m., $20, Blue Cross RiverRink, 201 S. Columbus Blvd.
- After you’ve skated to your heart’s content, there’s gonna be a whole slew of Winter Pride after-parties in the Gayborhood. Feel free to hit ’em all or pick and choose depending on your interests and clothing choices for the evening. The Bike Stop is throwing a long-underwear party; U Bar wants you to forget the cold weather and show up in your skimpiest outfit; throw on something off-white for the shindig at Tavern on Camac; and at Sisters, wear whatever you want and watch dancers shimmy around in next to nothing in the BRRRRRRlesque Showcase. Various times, prices and locations.
- But personally, if you’re going to party after Pride, I’d choose this one: February’s sexy NSFW party is themed “Doppelgänger,” so those who show up dressed alike will get two-for-one admission at the door. Drag darling Omyra Lynn will be making her “go-go premiere,” dressed like regular NSFW dancer JT Goodson. This will also be one of your last chances to party at Fluid. It was announced this week that the storied South Street nightclub will be closing its doors forever on April 6. 10 p.m.-2 a.m., $5 (two-for-one if you bring a doppelgänger), Fluid Nightclub, 613 S. Fourth St.
- If you woke up feeling sleazy this morning, don’t change a thing. There’s a few parties going on tonight made just for that dirty boy/girl inside you. First up, is the Bike Stop’s Bootlust. Hosted by the Keystone Boys of Leather, this party is for lovers of boots and those who love to lick, sniff and wear them. Nasty! (I mean that in the that’s-rad Janet Jackson sense.) 10 p.m.-2 a.m., call for price, The Bike Stop, 206 S. Quince St.
- If bulges turn you on more than boots, you’ll wanna head to Icandy for its first-ever Underwear Party hosted by Omyra Lynn. As if boys and girls dancing in their drawers isn’t enough, there will also be a Rihanna ticket giveaway. 10 p.m., $5, Icandy, 254 S. 12th St.
- If you’re still reeling from Friday night’s Pride festivities, Sisters is going to keep the party going with another Winter Pride festivity. The Sexy Sisters Sirens will be dancing and someone’s going to take home some prizes in the frozen T-shirt contest. That sounds nippy. 9 p.m.-2 a.m., $6, Sisters, 1320 Chancellor St.
- The William Way Center has invited artist Eli VandenBerg to lead a Letterpress Printing Workshop at the Center. The session is inspired by slogans, or battle cries — “the stories the world needs to hear.” Guests are asked to come up with their own slogan that they can print on a poster that will be hung throughout Philadelphia. And FYI, “Meryl was robbed!” totally doesn’t count. 12 p.m.-3 p.m., free, William Way Community Center, 1315 Spruce St.
- In the evening, it’s all about the 85th Annual Academy Awards! Stir Lounge is hosting a come-as-you-are, more-laid-back Oscar viewing party, but if you’re in the mood to spiff up a bit, it’s all about the red-carpet event at 10 Arts. Slip into your best “cocktail chic” and watch the ceremony on several big screens as hosts Jimmy Contreras from philadelphiastreetstyle.com and Philadelphia Style editor Kristin Detterline offer commentary and choose a best-dressed fellow, lady and couple from the audience. Throughout the evening, cocktails made by by George Clooney and Cindy Crawford’s Casamigos and Tito’s Handmade Vodka will flow freely, and there will be plenty to nibble — from savory goods by 10 Arts chef Nathan Volz to sweet stuff by Whipped Bakery. And with fancy gift bags full of goodies from stores like Anne Klein, this is definitely going to be Philly’s closest thing to being at the Oscars in a seat next to [insert your favorite actress’s name here]. 6 p.m., email email@example.com for RSVP and price, 10 Arts Lounge and Bistro, Ritz Carlton, 10 Avenue of the Arts.