15 Most Quotable Movies of All Time
When we talk about movie quotes, we often disassociate the quote from the movies. Sometimes it’s because the quote is far more famous than the movie from which it came: “Why don’t you come up sometime and see me?” from 1933’s She Done Him Wrong. Sometimes it’s simply such a great line that it precisely defines (or transcends?) the rest of the movie: “You talkin’ to me?” from 1976’s Taxi Driver. But then there are movies that are so great, that have so many great quotes, that just picking one seems inappropriate.
Everyone has personal favorites. For my circle of friends, Christopher Guest’s community theater mockumentary Waiting for Guffman is integral to our lives. If something exciting is happening, “It’s the day of the show, y’all” will invariably appear as a Facebook status. If someone is tired of the world, “Bastard people” or “I hate your ass face” always seems appropriate. If we just want to laugh: “There’s no swimmin’ in my show” or “I got Bonnie a wonderful pantsuit.” No explanation is necessary. Simply saying these—or posting them—is shorthand for how we’re feeling. (Another friend swears by 1981’s Excalibur. Frequently saying, and acting out Merlin’s overly dramatic line, “A dream to some. A nightmare to others.”)
Instead of personal favorites, here are my picks for the movies that I think are most universally love and quoted (in no particular order). Plus, my favorite quotes from each. Make sure you let me know your favorites!
The Princess Bride
• Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
• Mawage is wot bwings us togevuh, tooday.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
• It’s just a flesh wound.
• I fart in your general direction.
• Bring out yer dead.
A Christmas Story
• Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian.
• I triple-dog-dare ya!
• You’ll shoot your eye out.
• As somebody always said: If you can’t say anything nice about anybody, come sit by me!
• A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.
• Don’t talk about me like I’m not here.
• Here’s looking at you, kid.
• I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
• Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine.
• Make yourself a dang quesa-dilluh.
• Tina, you fat lard! Come get some dinner!
• Don’t be jealous that I’ve been chatting online with babes all day.
• You’ll get nothing and like it.
• Last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it
• This young Cinderella who’s come outta nowhere.
• I’m gonna make him and offer he can’t refuse.
• Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
• It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.
• Don’t cross the streams.
• He slimed me.
• There is no Dana, only Zuul!
The Wizard of Oz
• Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.
• Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
• Oh, what a world! What a world!
• No wire hangers!
• Tina! Bring me the axe!
• Don’t fuck with me fellas. This ain’t my first time at the rodeo.
• ‘uttin’ on the ‘iiiiiiitz.
• Frau Blücher. (horse whinny)
• Some varm milk, perhaps?
Gone with the Wind
• Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.
• As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.
• I don’t know nothin’ ‘bout birthin’ babies.
• Flames, on the side of my face, breathing… breathl… heaving breaths.
• One plus two plus two plus one.
• Da-da da-da da da. I am your singing telegram.
• Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You’re my only hope.
• May the Force be with you.
• These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.