Students Hold Vigil to Honor Joe Paterno

Plus: People in Philly cannot stop killing each other, the Flyers lose (again), a tipster broke the case in the Old City beating death, and more of what the city is talking about today.

Penn State’s Student Newspaper Covers the Death of Joe Paterno. Joe Paterno died yesterday morning after a battle with lung cancer. Students gathered Saturday night amid false reports of his death and then held a vigil last night after learning he had actually passed. Joe Paterno was 85. [Daily Collegian]

Killadelphia 2012 Continues. Homicide detectives landed themselves another case when the body of a man was discovered in a North Philly apartment yesterday. It appeared as though he had died by blunt force trauma to the head. Philly had a total of five murders this weekend. [Inquirer]

Flyers Can’t Top Bruins in Shootout. Scott Hartnell finished his weekend with a natural hat trick in the second period yesterday as the Flyers went on to lose 6-5 in a shootout. C’mon Bryz. Oh, and that gave Hartnell five goals this weekend. Yeah, he’s definitely not an All-Star. [The 700 Level]

Tipster Looking for Reward Money Breaks Old City Beating Case. Philadelphia police have all three suspects in the beating death of Kevin Kleiss from two weekends ago thanks to information gathered from a tipster who came forward looking for the $20,000 reward. [Inquirer]

Temple Grad Hopes for Oscar Nom. Fiona Otway—a graduate of Temple University—edited footage for the documentary film “Hell and Back Again.” The film follows of a Marine sergeant deployed to Afghanistan and shot in the hip. There’s a pretty good chance it’ll be nominated for “Best Documentary Feature.” Nominees will be announced tomorrow. [CBS 3]

Santorum Finished Third in South Carolina, Defends His Relevance. Newt Gingrich took the South Carolina primary over the weekend. Mitt Romney finished in second and Rick Santorum third. With Florida just around the corner, Santorum is fighting to stay relevant. [Inquirer]