How to Have Fun: Fun Philly Moments
1. William Penn’s heirs gyp the Lenape out of their territory by hiring the colony’s best runners to carry out the terms of the “Walking Treaty.” Ha-ha! (1737)
2. Ben Franklin gets his 21-year-old son William to help him fly a kite in a lightning storm. PUNKED! (1752)
3. John Wanamaker invents the department store, and thus shopping (1875).
4. At the Centennial Exposition world’s fair, the Turkish delegation introduces marijuana to the U.S. for the first time and becomes one of the most-visited exhibits (1876).
5. Eighty-some chickens are set free in the halls of Northeast High School in the fowlest senior prank of all time (2008).