Eagles Waive Lindley, Add OL Menkin
The Eagles have waived cornerback Trevard Lindley and added offensive lineman Nate Menkin off waivers from the Texans, the team announced.
Menkin (6-4, 296) is listed as a tackle/guard. He signed with Houston in May as an undrafted free agent. Menkin played his college ball at Mary Hardin-Baylor in Texas.
A couple of Texans writers seem to think the Eagles got a pretty good player. From Lance Zierlein of TheSidelineView.com:
I feel the same way about Texans UFA rookie tackle Nathan Menkin that I felt about Mike Brisiel the first time I saw him. He has a future
There is no way that teams who watch the tape of Texans/Vikings won’t notice #77 (Menkin) and his ability to get to 2nd level.
And from Stephanie Stradley of The Houston Chronicle:
Nice size, movement combo. Good get. Developmental.
The Eagles now have nine offensive linemen on their roster: King Dunlap, Evan Mathis, Jason Kelce, Danny Watkins, Todd Herremans, Dennis Kelly, Demetress Bell, Dallas Reynolds and Menkin.
Lindley, meanwhile, initially made the 53-man roster yesterday when the Birds made cuts. A fourth-round pick in 2010, he was let go last summer and didn’t play in the league. But Lindley impressed the coaching staff this summer during training camp and in the preseason. Looks like there’s not a spot for him right now though.
Some other notes:
* Julian Vandervelde, whom the Eagles cut after acquiring safety David Sims from the Browns yesterday, Tweeted that he’s going to Tampa Bay to join the Bucs. Vandervelde, who could have been a practice-squad candidate, was a fifth-round pick in 2011.
* Tight end Brett Brackett, who also could have been a practice-squad candidate, has been claimed by the Jaguars, according to Jeff McLane.
* Linebacker Keenan Clayton has been claimed by the Raiders.
* Mike Kafka has cleared waivers, according to various reports. Tim reported earlier that four teams have expressed interest in Kafka. He’s now a free agent and can choose his next team.
* D.J. Jones, who the Eagles cut, has been claimed by the Giants, according to various reports.