When its ballyhooed seven dollar cup of coffee was unveiled a couple weeks ago, it seemed Starbucks had reached a plateau in the art of ripping people off. Not so. Late last week, it introduced–just in time for the holidays–its first-ever (the first-ever) stainless steel gift card for $450. This isn’t some Visa “Platinum” word game, mind you. The card is made of actual steel alloy. Which explains why, when your lucky relative goes to redeem his or her thoughtful gift, it’ll only be worth $400; seems you pay for the parts too. Between the seven dollar “Geisha Cup,” the titillating naked Mermaid logo, and now, the steel, it remains to be seen if Starbucks tries to tie its next promotion to Anastasia Steele, and the Fifty Shades of Grey crew. [Time]
- Shoppist: The Fall Gathering Fashion Crawl Is Happening This Tuesday
- Shoppist: Your Guide to the Must-Shop Weekend Sales and Events
- Shoppist: There’s a Waitlist for This $1,750 Fendi Keychain
- Shoppist: The Philadelphia Collection Is Back
- Shoppist: Refinery29 Is Coming to King of Prussia Mall This Saturday
- Be Well Philly: 6 Unexpected Places to Buy Cool Fitness Gear Right Now
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.