When its ballyhooed seven dollar cup of coffee was unveiled a couple weeks ago, it seemed Starbucks had reached a plateau in the art of ripping people off. Not so. Late last week, it introduced–just in time for the holidays–its first-ever (the first-ever) stainless steel gift card for $450. This isn’t some Visa “Platinum” word game, mind you. The card is made of actual steel alloy. Which explains why, when your lucky relative goes to redeem his or her thoughtful gift, it’ll only be worth $400; seems you pay for the parts too. Between the seven dollar “Geisha Cup,” the titillating naked Mermaid logo, and now, the steel, it remains to be seen if Starbucks tries to tie its next promotion to Anastasia Steele, and the Fifty Shades of Grey crew. [Time]
- Shoppist: The Edit: 11 Fall Flats You Can Wear Now
- Shoppist: Monday Obsession: Make This Your First Sweater Purchase
- Shoppist: You Can Now Design Your Dream Shoes at Stuart Weitzman
- Shoppist: Did You Know There’s a Secret Anthropologie Clearance Center?
- Shoppist: Main Line Retail News: Menagerie Boutique Opening Second Location
- Shoppist: 8 Buys to Get You Through the Rest of Summer
Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive. By posting here, you are permitting Philadelphia magazine and Metro Corp. to edit and republish your comment in all media.