The 2013 Pliny the Younger Calendar for Philadelphia
It’s almost March, 2013 and to a certain subset of the population that means it is Pliny the Younger Frenzy time. The once a year lunacy regarding Russian River’s triple IPA is gathering steam. The beer was tapped Friday, February 1st at the Santa Rosa, California brewery. From there the beer fans out across the west and then to a single destination east of the Mississippi, Philadelphia.
All indications are that Philadelphia will be receiving a similar allotment to last year. which means that about around 27 local bars can expect a sixtel, or in the case of some other lucky bars, a half-barrel keg.
- Friday, February 28 Teresa’s – With no warning, Teresa’s became the first to tap Pliny the Younger this year.
- Saturday, March 2nd 4p.m. City Tap House – Tickets go on sale at 4 p.m for the 5 p.m. tapping. $10 for 8 ounce pour.
- Sunday, March 3, 11 a.m. Bishop’s Collar – First come, first served. Check out the whole beer list.
- Monday, March 4, 10 a.m. Local 44 – First fifty to reply to email get a seat and very civilized experience. Local 44 got a half-barrel this year.
- Monday, March 4, 12 p.m. Tria Washington Square West – The call went out in the weekly newsletter and subscribers could buy one glass.
- Tuesday, March 5, 1:47 p.m. TJs – The Paoli beer bar spelled out the initial PTY on Twitter as they announced the tapping of their beer.
- Tuesday, March 6, 6p.m. Grey Lodge – The Northeast beer bar tapped Pliny the Younger with no advance warning.
- Tuesday, March 5, 8 p.m. Iron Abbey – First thirty to email get on the list. Other Russian River rarities will be available by the bottle.
- Thursday, March 7, 2 p.m. South Philadelphia Taproom – First come, first served at SPTR.
- Friday, March 8, 3 p.m. Sidecar – Pliny the Younger will be tapped as part of IPA’s Greatest Hits.
- Sunday, March 10, Pinocchio’s – Sneaky tapping.
- Sunday, March 10, 11 a.m. Blue Dog Tavern – It was gone in 20 minutes.
- Monday, March 11, 11:30 a.m. Monk’s Cafe – Cash only – 100% of proceeds go to Alex’s Lemonade Stand. Last year they raised $20,000. Philly Tap Finder has the day’s beer list.
- Sunday, March 17, 7 p.m. Kite & Key – A very special sixtel Sunday included Pliny the Younger.
- Monday, March 18, 11 a.m. Side Bar – First come, first served.
- Wednesday, March 20 8:37 p.m. Belgian Cafe – First come, first served.
- Sunday, March 24, 8 p.m. Varga Bar – Red Carpet, Black Tie Pliny event.
- Thursday, March 28 3 p.m. Good Dog – First come, first served.
- Monday, April 1 7 p.m. Pub on Passyunk East – First come, first served.
For more Pliny the Younger news, follow Philly Tap Finder on Twitter
Also follow our Pliny the Younger Twitter List. It includes all Philadelphia area bars that received Pliny the Younger in 2012 and have active Twitter feeds.