More than 40 bakeries entered this year’s City of Hope’s “Let Them Eat Cake” competition at the Loews Hotel last night. Before the doors opened at 6 p.m., a team of 16 judges tasted and critiqued the designs of the cakes. This year’s theme was “The Big Top.” Below: Famed cake designer Sylvia Weinstock, New York’s reigning cake diva, records her thoughts on this cake. She said with the best New York City accent, “It looks more like a centerpiece than a cake, but it was tasty.” Behind her is Fox 29′s weather guru Sue Serio (right) and her husband, Bill Vargus (left). The big winners of the night were Stefanie Murphy and Monica Motter from Adelaide’s Bakery of Glendora, NJ. They won Best in Show and Best Tasting. Suzy Vanhoose and Stacey Hill, of “Truly Custom Cakery” in Bucks County, won Best Theme, Most Artistic and Audience Choice. Best Student Design went to David Reimund and Franco Alvisi, Jr, both 2012 graduates of the Art Institute in Philadelphia. Check out PhillyChitChat.com for photos of the winning cakes, as well as other shots from the event.
- News: Break-Ins at Resurrection, Honeys Sit n’ Eat Last Night
- News: Marc Vetri Used to Have a Creepy Mustache
- News: Sushi Chef Stabs Robber with Sushi Knife
- G Philly: Same-Sex Wedding Photos
- News: Philadelphians Not Really Paying Attention to Restaurant Calorie Counts
- News: Au Contraire, Marriage Is For You