Chris Christie’s “Bridge-gate” press conference went long, which meant there were good quotes aplenty. First things first: He apologized for the scandal, fired a staff member, and decided not to promote his longtime campaign manager, both of whom were at the center of the lane-closing controversy. Now, some choice quotes.
- “Well, let me tell you, everybody, I was blindsided yesterday morning. I was done with my workout yesterday morning and got a call from my communications director at about 8:50, 8:55, informing me of this story that had just broken on the Bergen Record website. That was the first time I knew about this.”
- “The fact is that mistakes were made, and I’m responsible for those mistakes.”
- “I had no knowledge or involvement in this issue, in its planning or its execution, and I am stunned by the abject stupidity that was shown here.”
- “Oh, god, no. No.” (After a reporter asked him if he had considered resigning.)
- “Politics ain’t bean bag, OK? And everybody in the country who engages in politics knows that. On the other hand, that’s very, very different than saying that, you know, someone’s a bully.” (When a reporter asked him if he was a bully.)
Much, much more here from the governor.