Greens with Chicken, Apple, And Blue Cheese
A truly memorable salad includes a variety of tastes and textures. This salad does that by combining pungent blue cheese; chewy, dried cranberries; and a crunchy, sweet apple with a bright acidic dressing. Choose a sweet but semifirm apple you would eat on its own. Buy a premade spring lettuce mix or make your own, combining arugula, kale, endive, and/or leafy lettuces. For variety, instead of an apple, substitute a pear or grapes.
- 1⁄2 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 cups lettuce mix
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 large apple, cored and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried sweetened cranberries
In a bowl, combine the shallot and vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice, mustard, and sugar and stir to combine. Slowly whisk in the oil to incorporate (or put into a jar and shake well). Season with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, combine the lettuce, chicken, apple, parsley, blue cheese, and cranberries. Drizzle the dressing over the greens to lightly coat and stir gently to combine.
Excerpted from The American Cancer Society New Healthy Eating Cookbook. Copyright ©2016 American Cancer Society.