OutBeat, the Nation’s First Queer Jazz Festival, Heads to Town This Week
Our sister blog, G Philly, has presented lots of coverage on OutBeat, the nation’s first ever LGBTQ jazz festival, that’s playing right here in Philly this upcoming week. However, this event isn’t just for those who fall in the LGBTQ spectrum: it’s a major musical fest for jazz lovers that is bringing some of the best musicians in the genre to our city.
The festival, which runs from September 18 through the 21, has events all throughout the city. Sponsored by the William Way Community Center, the festival promises to create an interesting fusion between sexual orientation, identity, jazz history, and culture.
The full calendar of events is below. For more information, visit the festival’s website.
Thursday, September 18
- The New York Times‘ Nate Chinen in conversation with Fred Hersch. Free. 5-6PM, William Way Community Center
- OutBeat Kickoff Reception with Dena Underwood. $100. 6-8PM, William Way Community Center
Friday, September 19
- “From Strayhorn to Cecil: Jazz Innovation in America” with David Hajdu, John Szwed, and Orrin Evans in conversation with JazzTimes’ John Murph. Free. 3PM, University of the Arts’ Arts Bank
- VIP Reception. Free with VIP Ticket. 5PM, Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Fred Hersch Trio. $23.50-$38.50. 5:45PM, Philadelphia Museum of Art
- Philadelphia Jazz Project presents “Lush Life: Philadelphia Celebrates Billy Strayhorn.” $25-$35. 8:30PM, Suzanne Roberts Theatre
Saturday, September 20
- Pre-Concert Discussion with Bill Stewart, Patricia Barber, and Chris Bartlett moderated by JazzTimes‘ John Murph. Free. 5PM, Painted Bride Art Center
- Bill Stewart Quartet. $25-$40. 7PM, Painted Bride Art Center
- Terri Lyne Carrington‘s “Money Jungle.” $25-$35. 8PM, Chris’ Jazz Cafe
Sunday, September 21
- OutBeat Festival Finale: Includes Terri Lyne Carrington, Andy Bey, Patricia Barber Quartet, Andrew D’Angelo, Jennifer Leitham Trio, Mike McGinnis Splang-a-lang Trio, Dena DeRose Trio, David Cross Quartet, Ben Flint and the Diesel Puppies, Monnette Sudler, Weez the Peeples, and TreZure Empire. $40-$70. 1PM, Union Transfer.