There Will Be Yorkies at Monster Mania Con
Black and Cuba @ The African American Museum | Sunday, March 13
Screening and discussion with filmmaker Dr. Robin Hayes. This is in conjunction with AAMP’s current exhibit, Drapetomanía: Grupo Antillano and the Art of Afro-Cuba, on display through March 20.
Indoor Phila Flea Market @ 800 Spring Garden | Saturday, March 12
It’s the last indoor flea market of the season. (And, as we all know, when you do it outdoors, all the fleas escape. Free dad joke.) Old things will be for sale including antique furniture, vintage clothing, “primitives” whatever that means. Free admission.
Monster Mania Con @ Crowne Plaza Cherry Hill | March 11-13
Lots of kinda celebs from the horror world will be on hand, including: Matthew Lillard, Danny Trejo, four lesser Lost Boys, two different women who killed zombies (and kissed Rick) on The Walking Dead, Dr. Giggles, the voice of the Cryptkeeper, and legendary Troma fillmaker Lloyd Kaufman, among others. Also they’re giving away Yorkies on Sunday, it looks like? Is that right? Okay, no. They’re auctioning off merchandise to benefit Yorkies. But the Yorkies will be there, so. This will be weird and magical.
The Science Behind Pixar @ Franklin Institute | March 12-September 5
Interactive exhibits and stuff to make kids scream their dumb little heads off. Find out how they make Pixar Face, maybe. Opening night is the big ol’ Family Party.
The Man Who Mends Women — The Wrath of Hippocrates @ International House | Thursday, March 10
“Dr. Denis Mukwege, a humanitarian who has risked his life to mend thousands of women that have been raped during 20 years of conflicts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.” Dr. Mukwege will be at Penn later in the month to receive a humanitarian award.
Soft Targets: Vulnerability and Violence in the New Post-Apocalypse @ Free Library | Saturday, March 12
Metropolarity, APIARY Magazine, and the Library team up for “an afternoon of writers’ workshops and readings.” We’re talking smart, conscious sci-fi by people who feel passionate about it. This is part of the Library’s 7 Days of Genius Festival.
Alice @ The Mutter Museum | Saturday, March 12
Eat cookies, drink lemonade and watch “Czech master animator Jan Svankmajer’s Alice (1988), a unique adaption of Alice in Wonderland” in a building full of weird things in jars. Would you agree that this movie looks nuts?:
- Kino Polska: Polish Film Marathon @ Associated Polish Home | Sunday, March 13 Screenings of Bogowie and Ogród Luizy.
- Tracy Morgan @ Playhouse on Rodney Square, Wilmington, DE | Friday, March 11 The comedian continues his “Picking up the Pieces” tour.
- Tell Me A Story: Offline @ Shot Tower Coffee | Wednesday, March 16 Hillary Rea’s lively storytelling series continues, featuring Steve Clark, T.J. Hurley, Katie Samson, Christopher Wink and more.
- Witchfinder General @ Colonial Theatre | Friday, March 11 Phoenixville’s beloved theater dusts off a low-budget Vincent Price classic from 1968 that just might resonate with keen observers of the current political climate. Maybe not, though.
- Spring Clothing & Book Swap @ Independence Charter School | Saturday, March 12 Drop off and/or pick up books and clothes, then make a donation.
- Helen Oyeyemi @ Free Library | Thursday, March 10 The British novelist returns with What Is Not Yours Is Not Yours.
- Antonne M. Jones and The Lex St Massacre @ Nicetown-Tioga Branch of the Free Library | Wednesday, March 16 The author will be on hand to discuss her book and offer tips for young writers. The first 25 people through the door will get a free signed book and DVD.
- Mad Max: Fury Road @ CineMug | Thursday, March 10 Find out why this two-hour car chase won six Oscar’s. $5.