Main Line Monday: Tanglewood, a Woodland Residence in Berwyn
Restorations, additions, and updates—like most other historic homes who’ve still got it, Tanglewood blends all of the above, molding its vintage charm and a hefty dose of modern luxuries to lure us into seeing what it has to offer. Here are some of our favorite details:
- Two-story foyer with original terrazzo floor and light fixture, curved staircase with a stainless steel bannister, and….wait for it… a mural of all things!
- Energy-efficient windows, mud room with radiant heated floors, and gourmet kitchen with SubZero drawer freezers, Wolf 6 burner range, and Viking fridge
- Second caterer’s kitchen with Dacor double oven and fridge
- Redone baths, new Vermont slate roof, refinished hardwood floors
- Stone patios right off the dining room and heated green house
The property, set over six wooded acres, has only ever been listed for sale one other time, so it’s important to note this might be one of the few opportunities anyone will have to purchase it. Additional features include a garden shed (with electric and plumbing) and a covered walkway leading to a carriage house designed by Archer and Buchanan.
This latter building is, we have to admit, our preferred living space. Nothing against the main residence, of course, but we love its vaulted ceiling great room with stone fireplace. There’s even reclaimed wide-plank floors and a loft you can only reach by ladder. Add to that two SubZero refrigerators, two bar sinks, a guest room, and full bathroom, and we can’t think of any other place we’d rather stay.
THE FINE PRINT
Baths: 3 full, 2 half
Square feet: 5,034
Price: $1.5 million
Additional Info: 3-car garage
TREND photos via BHHS Fox & Roach-Malvern.
Listing: 501 Contention Ln, Berwyn, PA, 19312 [BHHS Fox & Roach-Malvern]
Get at us:
- Send all tips (including fancy Philly area houses like this and this) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Like Property on Facebook!
- Follow along on the Twitter machine @PropertyPhilly
- Get pin-happy on our fun Pinterest boards Phillyscape and Philly Home
- Don’t forget to use the hashtag #phillyscape on your cool Instagram and Twitter pictures. We might just pick yours to be Property’s next Photo of the Week!