Morning Headlines: Camden’s ‘Waterfront Abyss’ Wins Parking Tournament
Camden has been making strides to change its image over the past few years. The state has offered huge incentives to companies willing to relocate to the city (hello, 76ers and Subaru) and a recent reports show that there has been a near 50% reduction in gunfire within city limits thanks to a technology called ShotSpotter. For all that promise comes some obvious news, Camden’s waterfront has a ton of surface parking lots. In fact, it recently won Streetsblog’s annual ‘Golden Crater’ award–a winner-take-all tournament style that pits urban parking pits against each other. The vote was close, but Camden took home the gold. Um, congratulations?
Even hollowed-out Parkersburg, West Virginia — with a name that seemed destined for victory in this contest — fell short in the championship match. Camden emerged from the final poll with a 15-vote margin to claim the third annual Golden Crater title, joining Tulsa and Rochester.
- Camden’s Waterfront Abyss Wins the 2015 Golden Crater [Streetsblog]
- California, Illinois companies buy historic suburban Philadelphia apartment complex [Philadelphia Business Journal]
- A new campaign to get the locks off Squirrel Hill Falls Park [West Philly Local]
- Steel Pier park’s 200-foot-high wheel ride taking shape in Italy [Press of Atlantic City]
- Resources for innovation at Penn go beyond Pennovation Center [The Daily Pennsylvanian]
- Allan Domb airs TV ads for in bid for at-large Council [The Inquirer]
Holy Crap, a Bunch of Fronts Have Been Filled:
Seriously, one of the best recurring blog posts is Philaphilia’s Fill This Front. While everything GroJLart writes is phenomenal, it’s the Fill This Front piece that sheds necessary light on some prime, emphasis on prime, space that’s vacant for some crazy reason. Check out the update here!
Get at us:
- Send all tips (including fancy Philly area houses like this and this) to email@example.com
- Like Property on Facebook!
- Follow along on the Twitter machine @PropertyPhilly
- Get pin-happy on our fun Pinterest boards Phillyscape and Philly Home