Adventures in Home Buying: The Appraisal Waiting Game
As I have alluded, we are squarely in the middle of the hurry-up-and-wait phase of home buying. Back in the salad days of February, I foolishly believed that the toughest part was behind us. That was before I was reminded that our mortgage involves an appraisal. Which we are currently on pins and needles awaiting.
For those of you not in the know, should the appraisal come in under what we and the sellers have agreed to pay for the home, renegotiations begin. So I’m a little stressed. Some people do productive things like clean or bake or read when they’re stressed. I tend to turn things over in my head until they are rubbed smooth and I am a ball of nerves. Also, I make lists.
Our house search by the numbers
- 214: The number of emails among me, my husband, our realtor and our lender (so far)
- 200: The number of days since we visited our first open house
- 70: The number of pages signed, initialed and scanned back to our realtor since making offer
- 40: The approximate number of homes we have toured
- 22: Days until settlement