Morning Headlines: L&I and Shirt Corner Owner Had Prepared for Possible Collapse
by Angelly Carrión | March 14, 2014 10:11 am
Photo credit: Joe Coufal
A 40-foot wall that careened down while JPC Group workers carried out the Shirt Corner’s assigned demolition caused the site’s partial premature collapse on Thursday. At least, this is what Leo Addimando — the property’s owner — said during yesterday’s press conference.
Addimando said that although the fall of the wall wasn’t planned, he was aware of the possibility. L&I Commissioner Carlton Williams added that it was for this reason that “every safety precaution had been taken,” particularly in light of the June building collapse at 22nd and Market.
From the Philadelphia Business Journal:
Williams said the June building collapse that killed six people and injured 13 has meant “added precautions” for all demolitions around the city.
Addimando said there were six safety “spotters” on site urging pedestrians to walk on the other side of the street, telling people to move cars and, at times, blocking North Third Street from traffic.
Despite some debris hitting nearby buildings, no injuries were reported.
• L&I commissioner says “precautions” were taken prior to Old City collapse [Philadelphia Business Journal]
Moving onto other news…
• Philadelphia’s crumbling buildings: Photos of a ‘City Abandoned’ [Changing Skyline]
• Fate In Balance, Historical Commission To Hear Boyd Theater Case Friday [Hidden City]
• City Council Introduces N3RD Street Resolution [Philebrity]
• Council bills focus on tax relief for homeowners, low-income workers [PlanPhilly]
• In Wayne, the barber shop that gentrification forgot [Inquirer]
• What makes a well-designed waiting room? [NewsWorks]
• America’s 1,000 Richest Neighborhoods [Atlantic Cities]
- [Image]: https://www.phillymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/shirt-corner-collapse-02-940x5401.jpg
- From the Philadelphia Business Journal: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/blog/peter-van-allen/2014/03/l-i-commissioner-says-precautions-were-taken-prior.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20bizj_philadelphia%20%28Philadelphia%20Business%20Journal%29&page=all
- L&I commissioner says “precautions” were taken prior to Old City collapse: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/blog/peter-van-allen/2014/03/l-i-commissioner-says-precautions-were-taken-prior.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_philadelphia+%28Philadelphia+Business+Journal%29
- Philadelphia’s crumbling buildings: Photos of a ‘City Abandoned’: http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/inga_saffron/20140314_Changing_Skyline__Philadelphia_s_crumbling_buildings__Photos_of_a__City_Abandoned_.html
- Fate In Balance, Historical Commission To Hear Boyd Theater Case Friday: http://hiddencityphila.org/2014/03/historical-commission-to-hear-boyd-theater-case-friday/
- City Council Introduces N3RD Street Resolution: http://www.philebrity.com/2014/03/13/city-council-introduces-n3rd-street-resolution/
- Council bills focus on tax relief for homeowners, low-income workers: http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/03/13/council-bills-focus-on-tax-relief-for-homeowners-low-income-workers
- In Wayne, the barber shop that gentrification forgot: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20140314_In_Wayne__the_barber_shop_that_gentrification_forgot.html
- What makes a well-designed waiting room?: http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/thepulse/item/65863-what-makes-a-well-designed-waiting-room-?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Newsworks+%28NewsWorks+-+NewsWorks%29
- America’s 1,000 Richest Neighborhoods: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/housing/2014/03/americas-1000-richest-neighborhoods/8610/
Source URL: https://www.phillymag.com/property/2014/03/14/shirt-corner-partial-building-collapse/