Officer Wounded, Suspect Dead in Overnight Shootout

First Philly officer wounded in 2014.

Stephen_Korpalski-400x400[UPDATE, 2:00 p.m.] Police released the name of the deceased suspect, David Ellis, along with his mugshot (at the bottom of this post). Ellis had a history of arrests, and was reportedly released after serving 6 years of a 4 to 10 year sentence.

[UPDATE, 12:20 p.m.] Police have announced that Stephen Korpalski, the Philadelphia Police officer shot during an overnight altercation, has been released from the hospital and is recovering at home. The identity of the suspect, who was pronounced dead after being struck by return fire, is still being confirmed. The suspect’s gun was recovered at the scene of the shooting.


A Philly Police officer was hospitalized overnight after a shootout left him with a deep graze wound to the side of the head. A suspect in the shootout was killed during the exchange.

CBS Philly reports:

The injured officer has been identified as 15th District Officer Stephen Korpalski, a 14-year veteran of the force.

At a press conference, Commissioner Ramsey said the officer was very fortunate.

“He’s got a deep graze wound right to the left side of his head, but he is alert, he is talking, his family is there with him now,” he said. “Very fortunate. A half-inch over, a bit more, and we’d be planning a funeral right now.”

Korpalski and his partner had responded to a report of shots fired in the 6400 block of Ditman Street. When they encountered an individual who matched the description of the shooter, that person opened fire on the officers. Korpalski was wounded, but returned fire. “He did an incredible job there under some very difficult circumstances,” Ramsey said.

The suspect fled down Torresdale Avenue, where he was confronted by two other officers. The suspect was struck multiple times by bullets; he was pronounced dead at Frankford Torresdale Hospital.

NBC Philadelphia adds this is the 18th police-involved shooting of 2014 in Philadelphia — the first in which an officer was hurt, the second in which a suspect died.

Mugshot of deceased suspect David Ellis:


David Ellis