WEEKEND ROUNDUP: Bi at Sundown, Drag Queens of Comedy and More Gay To-Dos
Nightlife Gay‘s Bruce Yelk’s new, much-hyped rager, “bi at Sundown,” finally kicks off when the sun slinks below the horizon on Sunday. The party is a bi-weekly affair taking place at Lit Ultra Bar that focuses on international DJ talent, and giving people a not-too-late party option on the Sabbath day. Confused about the “bi” part? Don’t worry, you don’t have to be bisexual to attend. Yelk explains the thought behind the name to Philly Weekly’s Bill Chenevert: “The ‘bi’ portion is dual pronged. First, the party is bi-weekly, and that seemed to be the easiest way to convey that fact. Plus, I am known to produce several well-known LGBT events, but I wanted this event to be much more inclusive. I think bi works on that front — to let everyone know they are welcome at this event.”
The kickoff party features music by L.A.-based duo the Perry Twins. After that, Yelk has Miami’s Tracy Young (3/30), Tel Aviv’s Erez Ben Ishay (4/13), and Miami’s Kid Madonny (4/27) lined up to play.
Doors open at 7:04 p.m., and the first 200 guests pay $10 to get in. There’s an open bar for the first hour, plus, for the first four events, guests get a $20 bar tab to use at the next party, which, if you do the math, gives you $80 to spend by the end of April. Head here for more information on this and future dates.
- The Philadelphia Gay Men’s Chorus presents “When I Knew.”
- Don’t miss the last weekend to HYBERNATE with Gunnar Montana.
- Thank Goddess It’s OMG will be taking over Tabu.
- Gather your homegirls for Homegirl.
- Are you DTF? If so, hit up the BYOB fun hour/game show with Darryl and Timaree.
- Dito Van Reigersberg (aka Martha Graham Cracker) performs in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner benefit and auction.
- Eat some Boxx: The Drag Queens of Comedy at Voyeur is a drag enthusiast’s wet dream. Look out for performances by Philly favorites (like Brittany Lynn and Bev) and national queens including RuPaul’s Drag Race’s Pandora Boxx and Mimi Imfurst.
- Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day a little bit early at Stir Lounge …
- … Or celebrate it at Westbury’s Shamrocks & Jocks with The Gryphons.
- Not a fan of the St. Patrick’s Day foolery? Bev wants to help you get away from the drunk assholes in green.
- It’s the second go-round of the new South Philly queer party Club Haus.