The List: Cory Booker’s 6 Weirdest Tweets [Updated]
Barring a fatal meteorite shower, Cory Booker will win New Jersey’s Democratic Senate primary tonight, and then will hang out at an after party DJ’d by Q-Tip, which will then commence another round of hand-wringing about the Newark mayor’s “Celebrity or Savior?” persona. Speaking of which… the 44-year-old Booker is almost certainly more famous for his Twitter feed than anything he’s accomplished in Newark. Except for fixing potholes — because he apparently finds out about all of them on Twitter. Here, then, are six of his most memorable Tweets. If I forgot any good ones, I’m sorry, but the guy averages 20 per day and unlike our favorite neighbor-saving, snow-shoveling, Bain Capital-loving Senate candidate, I’m only human.
1. Quoting decade-old rap songs instantly makes you hipper than the entire U.S. Senate.
Sir, it looks like you live in Dublin, Ireland. I’ve got 99 problems & your ditch ain’t one MT @leedalyire Can u sort the pothole outside?
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) November 5, 2012
2. Carly Rae Jepsen, ditto.
“Hey, Never Met U, Your tweet’s Crazy, I’ll DM My Number, So Call Me Maybe?” MT @ann_ralston: I have a non-sexual, political crush on you!
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) January 8, 2013
3. The man is soon to be a U.S. Senator. Just a reminder. This weirdness also highlights Cory Booker’s apparent habit of searching for his own name in order to find Tweets addressed to him but not sent to his handle.*
Yes. RT @celebsunshine: Do u meditate? Cory Booker
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) August 4, 2013
4. Meet trying-too-hard Cory Booker.
5. Here’s the one tweet that Booker says has ever been deleted from his account. He says he regrets sending it, but clarifies that it was a staffer who erased it, not him. It’s about Mark Sanford, in case you have the political memory of a newt.
Booker tweeted a joke to the effect of “if anyone’s looking for me I’m not on the Appalachian trail, I’m with a hot sweet Colombian blend,” he said (a coffee reference).
6. Self-awareness reaches a new low.
Life is about purpose not popularity, significance not celebrity. If u have no detractors, critics or adversaries ur probably not doing much
— Cory Booker (@CoryBooker) December 20, 2012
*Update: Inquirer Jersey politics reporter and Cory Booker scholar Matt Katz informs me that Booker does not in fact search for his own name on twitter, but erases the @ from his handle when retweeting messages. Still, bizarre.