Weekend Roundup: Red-Carpet Shindig Being Thrown to Support QFest
Oh you fancy, huh? Tabu sure is hoping so — it’s rolling out the red carpet for the now-monthly Vixens and Vagabonds Queer and Kinky Cabaret: Starstruck event, embracing a Hollywood theme that obliges all of you L.A. glamour, Brangelina-obsessive types out there. Of course, the show’s fame-and-fortune tie-in (with a “kinky twist”!) is meant to emphasize its support for Philadelphia QFest — which, by the way, is debuting some pretty impressive films this year. Starstruck: Hollywood Edition promises performances by Liberty City Kings Drag and Burlesque, Icon Ebony Fierce and Saline Storm. Those of you who arrive in drag, kink or costume will save $2 on admission. 8 p.m.-2 a.m., $12, Tabu Lounge and Sports Bar, 200 S. 12th St.
- Can’t miss it: See a wide array of LGBT musicians show what they’ve got at MilkBoy’s The Rubix Cube Eclectic LGBT Party, with performances by K-0TiC Couture, James Lamar and more. (And Temple students get in free with a valid student ID!)
- For the Millennials: Drop by Loft 23 at William Way, the social/support group for 20-somethings looking to mix and mingle with other like-minded LGBT Philadelphians.
- In the minority group of people who loved the last two seasons of Showtime’s flawed-but-fabulous Weeds? Then you’ll especially love this: the ever-inappropriate “Doug” will be at Helium both Friday and Saturday.
- DJ Nikki E spins the tunes during Sisters Nightclub’s DJ Spin Cycle during this Saturday’s soiree. No quarters necessary.
- Freshman AC gay bar Rainbow Room is hosting a big gay all-night-long extravaganza, hosted by Miss Claudia Dumont.
- Catch the July edition of The Bike Stop’s CutN Paste party — they’re even giving away $100 cash prizes based on the themes of “post-gender realness” and “vogue old school.” Check out the Facebook page to enter yourself as a “walker” in one of the two aforementioned categories.
- Check out the nostalgic, bad-boy-loving musical “Grease” at Walnut Street Theatre while you still can.
- Do you like sports? Do you like comedy? (Duh, of course you do.) Show up to Comedy Sportz Philly’s improv show and prove that gays love sports too.
- The Gryphons: a little slice of bear heaven, and the closest thing The Bike Stop’s going to get to matching ICandy’s go-go shot boys. Meet ’em in all their rugby-gear glory at Saturday Social.
- Unleash your inner nerd: William Way’s got a chess club gathering where you can
meet the elusive hot gay nerdget your cognitive gayme on.
- While we’re on the subject of William Way, stick around for the Buddhist meeting happening around the same time — it’s for anyone who’s curious, not just Buddhists.
- Word has it that Flying Carpet Café is toying with the idea of Sundays being a low-key LGBT night. Stop by for a drink and scope the crowd.
Have an event you’d like featured on G Philly? Send details to [email protected].