WEIGH IN: Who Are Philly’s LGBT Health Heroes?
Philadelphia magazine’s Be Well Philly blog is on the lookout for local health advocates to be honored in its second-annual Health Hero Challenge 2013, which, according to the site, honors “people in your life who encourage you to be healthy and well: personal trainers, yoga or Pilates instructors, doctors, nurses, youth wellness advocates, massage therapists, acupuncturists, community garden leaders, nonprofit directors.
I’d love to see some LGBTQers make the cut. If you know someone who fits the bill in any way, stop over to their page and nominate them. Just off the top of my head, I can think of a handful that would be perfect contenders:
- Gavin McKay of Unite Fitness
- Dr. Marla J. Gold of the Drexel School of Public Health
- Elicia Gonzales of the Gay and Lesbian Latino AIDS Education Initiative
- Jane Shull of Philadelphia FIGHT
- Kevin J. Burns of ActionAIDS
- Nurit Shein of The Mazzoni Center
The list could go on and on and on and on. To nominate these and any other individuals who you think would be good candidates, visit Be Well Philly’s designated Facebook page, where you’ll find a fun, interactive nomination form you can fill out in seconds.