Broad Street Run Security Rules: “No Bags, Backpacks, Coolers In The Navy Yard.”
Our colleagues at Be Well Philly have the security memo for Sunday’s Broad Street Run, a race a little more fraught seeing as it comes just a few weeks after the Boston bombings.
Here’s what to expect on Sunday:
1. All runners electing to use gear-check on race day must pack their gear in clear bags provided at the race expo. If it is a nice day, it is recommended that runners not bring any gear with them.
2. Prior to the race, runners and spectators should sign up to receive emergency text alerts by visiting www.readynotifypa.org. This is how officials will alert runners and spectators if there is an emergency on race day.
3. If you see something suspicious on race day, report it to a police officer or call 911. There will be police officers along the course and at every water station.
4. There will be three evacuation shelters open along the race course. Please report to one of these locations if you need to seek shelter.
Benjamin Franklin High School (Broad and Spring Garden)
School for Creative and Performing Arts (Broad and Christian Streets)
South Philadelphia High School (Broad and Snyder Streets)
5. No bags, backpacks, coolers in the Navy Yard.
Stupid terrorists, making everything more difficult and less fun.