Man Attacked in Rehoboth

A gay man was beaten near the Blue Moon on Memorial Day weekend

The Blue Moon in Rehoboth Beach, Del., is a popular gay bar and restaurant (courtesy of Blue Moon)

Anyone who spent time in Philly’s Gayborhood during the holiday knows that plenty of folks packed their bags for “Rehomo” to celebrate the Memorial Day weekend. Not only has the Delaware beach resort become a gay mecca for Philly gays looking for a little fun in the sun (even Voyeur’s The Scene party headed to the Frogg Pond to kick start summer), but many of our favorite performers and piano players (we’re looking at you, Tavern on Camac alum John Flynn) have headed south for the summer.

But on Sunday night, the Washington Blade reports that one of its own was attacked in gay-friendly Rehoboth. According to the longtime gay paper, Chris Johnson, a reporter with the Blade, was attacked by two unidentified assailants while walking along a residential street – on his way out for the evening to celebrate his birthday.

“Johnson said the attackers jumped him from behind as he walked along King Charles Street while he was headed toward the town’s business section to meet friends at the Blue Moon gay bar and restaurant,” the paper reports. One of the assailants allegedly grabbed Johnson’s cell phone before punching him in the head and about the body. They made no attempt to steal his wallet.

Rehoboth Beach Police Chief Keith Banks is expected to issue a statement this week about the attack in hopes of apprehending the assailants. “Banks said the attack against Johnson, which he lists as robbery by force and violence, is the first such incident to occur in the town so far this year,” says the Blade. Eight cases of robbery by force were reported in 2010 – and all eight cases were solved.

One attacker is described as being in his late teens or early 20s with a shaved head, medium build and red hooded sweatshirt. Anyone with information is asked to call the Rehoboth Police Department at 508-252-3722 or by going online.

Johnson was treated at the Beebe Memorial Hospital in nearby Lewes, Del., before being released.