Eat Your Way Through High Street’s New Sandwich Battles Tournament
A March Madness-style competition pits Philadelphia's top chefs and personalities against each other to craft the perfect bite between slices of the restaurant's artisan bread.
Philadelphia has always been sandwich-obsessed. And now, High Street on Market is taking that obsession one step further with Sandwich Battles, their new March Madness-style tournament to name the best sandwich and sandwich-maker in Philly.
Three competitors will face off on Mondays in March — March 4th, 11th, 18th, and 25th — and the winners from each of the four brackets will throw down in the championship battle on Monday, April 1st. Doors for each Sandwich Battle open at 6:30 p.m., with the competition running from 7 p.m. until 9 p.m.
Each competitor will be tasked with making their best sandwich using a secret ingredient and High Street’s artisan breads in the restaurant’s open kitchen, with executive chef Andrew Farley will serve as host and advisor to the would-be winners.
Diners get to sample each ‘which, along with sides from the High Street kitchen and beer buckets from a rotating slate of local breweries, and then vote on their favorite sandwich each night. The four victors will advance to the final championship round.
Check out the current schedule of competitors below, and keep an eye on High Street’s social media to see when new sandwich artists are confirmed. Tickets for each Sandwich Battles date are $25, and you can get them here.
First Round, Monday, March 4th
- Damon Menapace, executive chef, Le Virtù
- Jonathan Adams, co-founder and owner, Rival Brothers
- Michael Strauss, chef-owner, Mike’s BBQ
Second Round, Monday, March 11th
- Kiki Aranita, founder and owner, Poi Dog Snack Shop
- Darwin Walker, former Defensive Tackle, Philadelphia Eagles
Third Round, Monday, March 18th
- Keith Krajewski and Matthew Cahn, executive chef and founder-owner, Middle Child
- Jon Nodler, chef-owner, Cadence
- Reuben “Big Rube” Harley, Street Gazing founder and Philadelphia Daily News columnist
Fourth Round, Monday, March 25th
- Rob Marzinsky, chef de cuisine, Philadelphia 76ers
- Matt Budenstein, executive chef, Liberty Kitchen
- Nick Elmi, chef-owner, Laurel, ITV and Royal Boucherie
“Final Four” Winner-Takes-All Championship, Monday, April 1st (competitors TBD)