Year in Review: July
- Fidel Gastro provided an irreverent take onÂ Top Chef for us.
- Marc Vetri posed with a pig in advance of his Italian BBQ industry night.
- We see the floor plans for Fishtown’s Barcade. Anytime now fellas, we’re ready.
- It was critic shuffle in July as Trey Popp from City Paper to Philly Mag and Adam Erace went from Philadelphia Weekly to City Paper.
- Drew Lazor’s Philadelphia pizza story lands on the cover of City Paper.
- Shank’s wins WIP’s hot sandwich contest.
- There was once a restaurant called Pub Tiki.
- Word comes that Le Bec-Fin plans to call it quits this spring.
- What is mofongo? The Street Team knows.
- We mashed up Google Maps and local menus for a feature we call Annotated Menus.
- Mamma Foobooz shared her chicken Kiev recipe.
- July 29th marked the last show at The Khyber.
- Philadelphia Magazine’s Best of Philly featured Jose Garces holding a pig on the front cover, what was up with chefs posing with pigs in July? We of course mapped all the food and drink related winners.
Dish of the Month
Dry Pepper-Style Crabs at Han Dynasty
[Han] Chiangâ€™s chefs portion up hard-shell crabs, lightly dust them in flour to provide a salty crunch, deep-fry them and then stir-fry the suckers with peppers in hot pot stock, which the crab meat engulfs in an embrace, like two people in love who havenâ€™t seen each other in a year. This painstaking process turns out shells hard enough to provide the fastidious glee of digging out the tender meat inside, but soft enough to crack between your thumb and forefinger; this Marylander approves. – Drew Lazor, Meal Ticket
Quote of the Month
“Waiting for Good Dough” – City Paper’s Philadelphia pizza story ‘s title.