Year in Review: June
- Grub Street names 29 great sandwiches in Philadelphia that aren’t cheesesteaks.
- Five former Khyber daytime bartenders sit down with City Paper for a rollicking interview.
- Craig LaBan assembled a crack team to pick the best local beer.
- Beer Week was huge again, turning every night into a hoppy celebration.
- Beer and pretzels, a great combination.
- The World Cup made an impact in June giving everyone something else to do at work besides read Foobooz.
- Mr. Martino’s is reluctant to be reviewed by Craig LaBan but they shouldn’t have worried, he liked it.
- The hot summer got hot early, luckily Philadelphia had some cooling refreshments.
- In June everyone was talking about Steve Poses’ FrÃ¶g Burger.
- The Talula’s Table pop-up was a big success.
Dish of the Month
Taylor Bay Scallops on the half at Sycamore
Taylor Bay scallops on the half, guts and all, a gutsy move for suburbia. Hell, a gutsy move for the city. Jacobson plucks â€™em, shucks â€™em, serves â€™em right in their coral-colored, fan-shaped shells. They slide down your throat, sweet at first, with a salt-kissed marine finish suggesting East Coast oysters. The tangy, magenta rhubarb mignonette was a nice touch. Iâ€™m into it; so, it would appear, is the crowd. – Adam Erace, Philadelphia Weekly