Garces/LaBan Round Up
Craig LaBan and Jose Garces has an interesting online chat today. Among the most intersting things to come out of it:
Next Iron Chef
- Garces actually prepared the cock’s combs two ways: in a pressure cooker and braised.
- His best weapon on the show is his 15 years of cooking.
- Garces is trying to source cock’s combs for the weekend at Amada.
- What Philadelphia chefs would Garces trust with cock’s combs, stinky tufu or sea cucumber.
- Marc Vetri (Vetri, Osteria)
- Michael Stollenwerk (Little Fish, fish)
- Terence Feury (Fork)
- Michael Solomonov (Zahav)
- The fries at Village Whiskey are hand-cut and confited in duck fat, herbs and garlic. They are fried at 400 degrees and only stay crispy for 6-7 minutes. So eat fast!
- Distrito does the most covers per month, around 8,000.
- Garces Trading Co.
- It’ll be a cheese and charcuterie shop
- A bakery with fresh breads and pastries
- A Cafe with Garces Trading Co. coffee
- Commisary for Garces Restaurant Group
- And of course a wine boutique
- He will address local restaurateurs concerns soon
- He’s been dreaming about a sausage and beer spot.
- Considering a Farm to-table-concept.
Philadelphia Restaurants That Garces Enjoys
- Sahara Grill (1334 Walnut St)
- Morimoto (Sushi)
- Zento (Sushi)
- Taqueria Veracruzana (Fast Mexican)
- Osteria (Pizza)
- David’s Mail Lai Wah (Latenight Eats)
- New Delhi (Indian)
Talk food with LaBan, Garces [Philly.com]