Chifa Tale Of The Tape
Jose Garces’ latest creation, Chifa, a Cantonese and Peruvian restaurant is set to open Tuesday at 707 Chestnut Street.
- Design by Jun Aizaki of Creme Design Collective, the same firm behind all of Garces’ Philadelphia restaurants.
- Three dining rooms:
- Main Dining room and bar area – banquettes and earthy shades of terra cotta, ochre and brown leather. Handcrafted shutters, ceiling fans and custom made blue and white tiles and floral fabric accents.
- Second dining room – Center stage ceviche bar sits atop a Chinese apothecary cabinet. Room is a vibrant red and accented with wood screens carved in Chinese inspired patterns.
- Lower level – clandestine feel inspired by an opium den with its own bar, lush fabrics, red and black laquered tables, hanging lanterns and purple couches and ottomans for lounging.
- There’s also a 16-seat gold resin communal table.
- Chef de Cuisine Chad Williams
- Menu items will range from $10 to $28
- Arroz Chaufa con Mariscos – Fried rice with Chinese ham, egg and scallion, topped with soy- and ginger-glazed shellfish
- Aji Gallina – slow-poached chicken in a spicy sauce of aji amarillo, walnuts and queso fresco, served over confit purple potatoes and garnished with purple Peruvian olives
- Lomo Saltado con Conchitas – beef tenderloin marinated in ginger and soy and stir-fried with peppers, tomatoes and bay scallops, then tossed with fried yellow mountain potatoes and cilantro
- Roast Duck Buns – steamed Chinese buns filled with crispy roast duck over foie gras mousse, garnished with plum sauce, pickled scallions and five-spice sea salt.
- Ceviche Bar with 10 kinds of fresh daily ceviche preparations. Prices range from $14 to $24
- Oyster – leche de tigre, avocado, calamari and pisco, served as a shooter
- Tuna – rocoto emulsion, soy, sweet potatoes, red onion and cilantro
- Ecuadorian Ceviche – orange, fresh tomato and avocado
- Signature cocktails from $8 to $12
- Asian Five-Spice Rye Manhattan
- Classic Pisco Sour
- Mint and Lima Bean Gin Fizz
- Burnt Orange and Sesame Martini
- Selection of wine and beer
- A daily Fresh Tropical Fruit Pisco Sour Pitcher will be also be available
- Chifa will also offer a selection of Chinese teas.
Chifa [Official Site]