6 Seriously Cool Health Care Innovations Ready to Prove Their Worth
by Jared Shelly | February 9, 2016 12:18 pm
From left: Christina Lopes of the One Health Company; Saurabh Radhakrishnan of GraphWear; and Michele Marcolongo of InvisALERT.
You can’t help but root for the companies in the latest class of the University City Science Center’s Digital Health Accelerator. A patch that analyzes sweat to measure dehydration? Using a smartphone to better treat burns and bruises? Enrolling pets in clinical trials for cutting-edge therapies? Yes please.
Six early-stage healthcare companies have been accepted into the second class of the UCSC health accelerator from a pool of 69 applicants. They’ll receive up to $50,000 in funding along with professional mentorship and networking opportunities with local insurers, pharmaceutical companies, hospitals and research institutions. During the 12-month program, they’ll also get membership to the Science Center’s Innovation Center @3401.
A few fun facts before we meet the six winning companies.
- Four companies are graduates of Dreamit.
- Three of the companies are either women or minority owned.
- Last year’s class included seven companies that have since created 68 new jobs, generated over $1 million in revenue and raised almost $9 million in follow-on investment.
Here’s the class of 2o16:
- Grand Round Table: Emails primary care providers a daily summary about their scheduled patient follow-ups so they can better manage high-risk patients, keeping them out of the hospital.
- GraphWear Technologies: Developed a graphene patch that measures dehydration, glucose, and lactic acid levels, all from your sweat.
- InvisALERT Solutions: Uses a wearable device to help health care providers monitor patients in institutional settings, improving compliance.
- Oncora Medical: A tool for planning personalized cancer radiotherapy, reducing the incidence of toxic radiation side effects in patients and improving cancer center efficiency.
- One Health Company: Helps to enroll ill pets in trials of cutting-edge therapies, improving their wellness and helping to develop new therapies for human medicine.
- Tissue Analytics: Transforms the smartphone into a platform for evaluating and measuring things like chronic wounds, burns and skin conditions.
Like what you’re reading? Stay in touch with BizPhilly — here’s how:
- Follow BizPhilly on Twitter and follow editor Jared Shelly here.
- Get the BizPhilly Newsletter
- Like BizPhilly on Facebook
- Check out the BizPhilly homepage
- Dreamit: http://dreamit.com/
- Grand Round Table: http://www.grandroundtable.com/
- GraphWear Technologies: http://www.graphwear.co/
- InvisALERT Solutions: http://www.invisalertsolutions.com/
- Oncora Medical: http://oncoramedical.com/
- One Health Company: http://www.theonehealthcompany.com/
- Tissue Analytics: https://www.tissue-analytics.com/
- Follow BizPhilly on Twitter: https://twitter.com/bizphilly
- follow editor Jared Shelly here: https://twitter.com/jaredshelly
- Get the BizPhilly Newsletter: https://www.phillymag.com/newsletters/
- Like BizPhilly on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bizphilly
- Check out the BizPhilly homepage: https://www.phillymag.com/business/
Source URL: https://www.phillymag.com/business/2016/02/09/science-center-digital-health-accelerator/
Copyright ©2018 Philadelphia Magazine unless otherwise noted.