Girls On the Run Philly Is Expanding—And They Need Volunteers
Almost exactly a year ago, we chatted with Philly resident and marathoner Kate Freed about a running/mentoring program called Girls on the Run that she was trying to start up in our area. Last July, the program was in its inception stage, so we’re super happy to report that just a year later, GOTR is not only up and running, it’s already expanding!
Kate reached out earlier this week to say GOTR completed a successful debut season at two elementary schools this past spring, and will be expanding to six schools this fall. The sites are as follows:
• Albert M. Greenfield Elementary (22nd and Chestnut)
• Bache-Martin Elementary (22nd and Brown)
• Martha Washington Elementary (766 North 44th Street)
• Northeast Family YMCA (11088 Knights Road)
• Our Mother of Consolation (17 East Chestnut Hill Avenue)
• Germantown Friends School (31 West Coulter Street)
She’s currently on the hunt for adult volunteers who’d like to lend a hand for the fall season. Interested? There are two ways to get involved.
1) Sign up to be a coach. GOTR coaches are enthusiastic, dedicated and positive women of all different backgrounds. Some are athletes and some are not; most have never coached before. All are committed to empowering girls with valuable life lessons. Coaches must have availability on two weekday afternoons over the 12-week fall season. More info is here.
2) Run as a SoleMate. SoleMates is the Girls on the Run adult charity running program. SoleMates are teams or individuals (men and women) who pursue individual goals, such as running a marathon or 5K or completing a triathlon or cycling event, while raising money to help girls in Philadelphia participate in GOTR. Philadelphia SoleMates may either select from one of the events for whom GOTR is a local charity partner (including the Rock ‘n’Roll Half Marathon and the Philadelphia Marathon), or they may participate in any running, walking, cycling, or multi-sport event of their choice. Sign up here.
Parents, if you have a daughter who wants to participate in GOTR, online registration will open in August. In the meantime, you can email Kate and her team at [email protected] for more information. Teachers/principals can also reach out at that email address if they’re interested in having Girls on the Run come to their school.