Broad Street Run Will Have Heightened Security Following Boston Bombings
If you’re having misgivings about participating in next month’s Broad Street Run in the wake of yesterday’s bombings at the Boston Marathon, mayor Michael Nutter is one step ahead of you.
Nutter said the Broad Street Run on May 5 is expected to continue as planned. The city will evaluate what happened in Boston as details become available, he said, and provide a “much more visible” security presence at the event, which has 40,000 participants signed up so far.
“In light of [Monday’s] events in Boston, let me assure you that we will step up our security efforts and response to the Boston Marathon,” Nutter said, flanked by top public-safety officials at a City Hall news conference. “Runners and spectators will, in fact, see a much more visible security presence on race day for the Broad Street Run.”
I guess I’ve never really looked for it, but I can’t for the life of me picture any visible security that I’ve noticed at the last three Broad Street Runs, though I’m sure they were there. I’ll be curious to see if the starting line procedure is less chaotic and more orderly than last year, perhaps with a stronger police presence.
In other Broad Street Run/Boston Marathon news, Broad Street’s official Twitter handle faced a bit of unfortunate timing yesterday, tweeting just after the bombs went off (but presumably before the news was yet widespread), “@IBXRun10: Retweet if you got pumped up for @IBXRun10 by watching the Boston Marathon.” At 3:21 p.m., the race took down the tweet and issued an apology.
UPDATE, 3:07 p.m.: The Broad Street Run has issued its own statement about enhanced security at the May 5th race. Read it here.
Temple Doc at Boston Marathon Finish Line Gives His Account