Top Five Reasons Not to Miss the Fifth-Annual GreenFest Philly Festival
Attention recessionista fashionistas, vegetarians, Pilates lovers, yoginis, and eco-friendly readers: the fifth-annual GreenFest Philly festival is fast approaching and will consist of everything from locally grown food and clothing swaps to live music and tons of other events all held in the name of sustainability. Here, five reasons why you should be there is coming Sunday, September 12th:
1. It gives you an excuse to ride your bike. The festival is the area’s largest green event and more than 20,000 people are expected to attend—which means parking may be tight and it’s a great time to hop on that bike and squeeze in a workout on your way to and from. Plus: we heard a rumor that the festival may even provide bicycle valet!
2. You can enjoy healthy, locally grown foods from vendors such as Cosmic Catering, view a Pilates demonstration and enter for a chance to win a free private lesson from Equilibrium Pilates, create your own pottery with Kivka Potters using locally dug and recycled clay, stay hydrated with various water-filling stations, and learn how to separate trash from compostables and recyclables at hand-made recycling stations.
3. Fashion is this year’s theme, and there will be various fashion shows and clothing swaps that will emphasize the importance of recycling and reusing clothing, purchasing from local thrift stores, and buying organic fabrics. (Read: being inspired at the beginning of the fall shopping season to frequent your local thrift shop or check out your friends’ closets is always a good idea.)
4. You can learn about community gardens, environmental education, and urban agriculture from London’s community garden educator Carole Wright or you can dip into your creative side and submit an eco-topical poem for the Third-Annual Greenfest EcoPoetry Contest (first place winner receives $200!).
5. It’s free! And it’ll be a good time! With more than 200 vendors scheduled to attend, this is one event not to miss. — Alyssa Brindisi
GreenFest will kick off at 11 a.m. on Sunday, September 12, 2010, at the Headhouse Square District on 2nd & South Streets. For more information and a list of local vendors that will be exhibited, visit GreenFest Philly.